Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water + magma trap.  (Read 950 times)

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water + magma trap.
« on: December 22, 2010, 02:08:12 am »

I finally manage to bring magma to surface. Now i'm wondering. I want to make a good trap, since I wan't to loot the bodies afterwards I'm thinking, a water trap followed by a magma trap. If creatures manage to survive one they will(probably) die in the next.

So, can you anyone give me a tip on how to make those two work properly?

For the water trap, how can I set a room to flood, wait until creature dies and then open(reset)? The timer seems to be the biggest problem.
For the magma trap, I guess it will be just similar to water trap. So no worries.

Also, if you can contribute with a  already working model of floodroom(for magma, or water) for me to analyse I'll be very glad.

Edit: Ah, i'll make a corridor of cage traps also, I'm planning to make a pretty nice arena hehe.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:13:27 am by win32anon »

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
Re: Water + magma trap.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 02:21:47 am »

Why do you need a timer? Seems needlessly complicated to involve anything but manual pulling of levers.

Anyway - A great way to flood an area quickly is to go one floor above, channel away the floor, fill up the room with retractable bridges (Use magma safe materials), connect them all to a single lever (Again, only magma safe mechanics), dig/channel magma into the bridge room and close it up, make sure the floodable room below has a way of getting rid of the magma (channel or dig to the edge of the map and smooth>carve fortifications at the edge tiles), let room fill with lava, pull lever, enjoy crispy kobolds. :D
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 02:27:27 am »

Because manual pulling can lead to alot of fun if not pulled in the right time

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 02:46:48 am »

still wrong.  One a creature is trapped in a room, you have all the time in the world to actually turn the water on.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 03:24:53 am »

So, here's an attempt to make that.
yah, I'll use levers. Creatures open hatch in front of it, falls into the cistern I pull the lever, wait it drow, pull the second lever to open the wall hatch and dispose the water. If any one still alives, pull the third lever, fill the room with hot magma and kill it.

Maybe i'll do it in two different rooms, in case creatures that do survive water comes with creatures that don't.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit: Like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:38:15 am by win32anon »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 07:49:22 am »

yah, I'll use levers. Creatures open hatch in front of it, falls into the cistern I pull the lever, wait it drow
Make sure the victims cannot climb out of the cistern when it's full of water.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 08:58:20 am »

Well, if we're looking for needlessly complicated and redundant check systems, pressure plates covering the floor activated by creature presence that isn't dwarves along with a lever attached with a mechanical AND gate could help prevent lever-pulling mishaps.

And be careful mixing water and magma; one tends to get obsidian that way.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 03:21:33 pm »

OK, I made this trap and two problems appear.

First, monsters will trigger the trap, open the hatch and walk to the square adjacent to it(not falling). To correct that I made it three single square corridors
Like so.

WWWW
ç<ç<ç<
WWWW
ç<ç<ç<
WWWW
ç<ç<ç<
WWWW

The second problem is, now they trigger the plate, the hatch opens but they don't fall! They stay at the border.

Is that right? What should I do to make it right?

EDIT: Ah, Just found my mistake. It is suposed to act like this. I guess i'll have to make a timer to trigger the hatch one step later. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:35:44 pm by win32anon »

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 04:19:26 pm »

Have the plate also release water into the square, flushing them into the hole. More details: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66742.msg1590481#msg1590481.

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 05:20:21 pm »

Oh, well... That could work.

But in this meantime I design something... More dwarvish.

I call it four stages of death.
Stage one: I made a room. with two of those hatch-pressure plates, one for them not go forward, the other to don't come back. I put some floodgate to seal the room, put some pumps to fill it with water, and made a escape. Then I made a passage to the second stage.
Stage Two: It's a raw of 60 cage traps, simple as that. In the end there's a exit to the third stage.
Stage three: It's the same as the first, but with magma, it comes from the ceiling using a bridge, and also it has a underground cistern to quick unfill the room(hoping for some itens not burn).
And last but no least, the fourth stage of death: If all those attemps to kill the creature fails I made archer squad room right next to the magma room, after unfilling it I pull a lever and the walls go down and they will start shotting.

It's only missing some fall damage and ice trap.