Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My MINE.  (Read 1197 times)

itisme

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy who is not the guy who is the guy.........
    • View Profile
My MINE.
« on: December 19, 2010, 04:29:34 pm »

Hello,
I am using 40d and i decided to mine strait down for a while to get to the juicy minerals. To my dismay, the down key stopped working at level 127. Why does this happen? is there anything i can do to fix it?
To steal from one is plagiarism, to steal from many is research.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My MINE.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 04:30:35 pm »

That's the bottom the map. Nothing can go any further down.

40d had less z-levels down than the standard 2010 map, why are you still using 40d anyway?

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 04:36:06 pm »

It happens because even Dwarf Fortress has limitations, such as a limited amount of levels. There's not really much you can do to fix it, as I believe the max you can go down is 15 levels below the lowest ground on your map.

Also, I think minerals are dependent on surroundings, rather than depth.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 05:08:00 pm »

Yeah, it's fairly unlikely that there are any better minerals deep down than there are on the surface anyway. Quite the contrary, actually; in 40d there's no chance of there being flux below the top few levels, as after the first ~5-8 levels all the layers are igneous intrusive, little chance of there being iron ore down there for the same reasons (only iron ore in igneous zones = hematite, and uncommon at that), no chance of bauxite, little chance of precious gems... The depths, in 40d, are basically just barren, solid rock unless you're lucky enough to get an underground river or pool, a magma feature, or Hidden Fun Stuff, and except for that last all of those are fairly likely to be relatively close to the surface anyway.

So... Yeah. Switch to 31.x if you want juicy minerals deep underground. Pretty much every difference between 40d and 31.x is an improvement anyway, so I highly doubt you'll be disappointed.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 07:49:39 pm »

So... Yeah. Switch to 31.x if you want juicy minerals deep underground. Pretty much every difference between 40d and 31.x is an improvement anyway, so I highly doubt you'll be disappointed.

aside from iron and flux, other minerals have a chance to be down there.  Often tons of gold and silver at the least.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 01:43:57 pm »

40d had less z-levels down than the standard 2010 map, why are you still using 40d anyway?

40d has its advantages. For example, the military interface is easier to understand (not that that's really saying much), and underground farming was simpler.

Also the way the raws worked in 40d allowed for a greater potential variety for modded weapons without having to resort to radical and complicated workarounds (for example, you could mod in weapons that burned people without having to do so by limiting them to being made of one specific material with a high fixed temperature that would probably burn the wielder as well).
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 01:54:37 pm »

Irrigating is one of the simplest tasks in Dwarf Fortress. You only need 1 floodgate or some screw pumps.

But I agree with you on the military, it was just "draft and you're set" because wrestling was actually deadly in 40d so you would have champion wrestlers in a matter of seasons.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 06:31:04 pm »

Irrigating is one of the simplest tasks in Dwarf Fortress. You only need 1 floodgate or some screw pumps.

You don't even need screw pumps. There are murky pools on the surface and that means you can irrigate with just a floodgate + lever (can be made of stone by a mason) at the level of the murky pool or below that thanks to gravity. You only need the pump if you want to irrigate above that level, but why would you need to do that?

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 06:37:15 pm »

You don't even need screw pumps. There are murky pools on the surface and that means you can irrigate with just a floodgate + lever (can be made of stone by a mason) at the level of the murky pool or below that thanks to gravity. You only need the pump if you want to irrigate above that level, but why would you need to do that?

If you're using murky pools you can just dig into them with a large area prepared (area of murky pool X 7 won't quite get filled up), then wall it off to prevent fliers from getting in and you have your farmland.

Pumps are needed if your water source is an aquifer that covers the area of your embark that you're building into. Dig a channel into the aquifer, build a pump, and pump until you have that nice dusty layer of mud.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 11:19:08 pm »

Or if you're digging into a mountain and the nearest water source is a river on the other side of the map.

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 11:54:00 pm »

better fps, less bugs. i know it sounds like your losing a lot switching back, but its worth it.

itisme

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy who is not the guy who is the guy.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 05:45:37 pm »

Yah, i was wondering where my hidden fun stuf was. I though every map had one?
To steal from one is plagiarism, to steal from many is research.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 06:15:04 pm »

Yah, i was wondering where my hidden fun stuf was. I though every map had one?
Not in 40d. Indeed, in 40d, you're unlikely to have HFS. You see, when you embark, there are 3 maps. The leftmost one, the local map, shows the smallest scale, and is 16x16 tiles wide. The central one shows the region map. If the tile you're on on the region map is a mountain, there is exactly one tile on the local map that has HFS in it, and it can very well be so deep into the mountains that you can't embark on top of it. That's 1 in 256 tiles on the local map that has HFS, actually less since it absolutely will be under the mountains and you can't embark on a map without non-mountains. Since you probably only cover a 6x6 (or less) area with your fort, you're fairly unlikely to have HFS on your map.

If you don't have any mountain biome at all on your map, it's completely impossible to have HFS, chasms, bottomless pits, underground rivers, or underground pools on your map in 40d. If you don't remember what your biomes were when you embarked, check the surface to see if you have any large areas that are completely devoid of soil, ice, murky pools, and plants. That's probably mountain. Dig around under them to find underground features.

In the more recent versions (31.01 and up), there is indeed HFS on virtually every map, as underground features have been allowed to appear under places that aren't mountains, and HFS now appears 1 in every ~4 local tiles instead of 1 per mountain region tile. Seriously, 31.x is just better than 40d, so when you start a new fort, I highly suggest switching.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!