Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it normal that urist mcengraver keeps makeing images of the same dwarf?  (Read 892 times)

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean... Half of what he makes is the image of a dragon killing a dwarf the same dwarf... The rest are of human and dwarfs fighting...

Being new to playing fortress mode... I can't help wondering is my engraver a few nuts short and needs to be drowned?
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
Re: Is it normal that urist mcengraver keeps makeing images of the same dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 01:13:24 am »

Nah, this is normal. A solution is to get several engravers. Or, kill you engraver every season and get a new one. you pick
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 01:13:54 am »

Off to Legends mode with thee and find the Dwarf who keeps getting engraved!  Maybe he was a total BA and your dwarf is infatuated with him and keeps... engraving him getting killed by a dragon.  Which admitedly is an epic way to go.  I wouldn't worry to much about your engraver until he starts engraving that dwarf on the skulls of all your other dwarves, however.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 01:17:58 am »

Off to Legends mode with thee and find the Dwarf who keeps getting engraved!  Maybe he was a total BA and your dwarf is infatuated with him and keeps... engraving him getting killed by a dragon.  Which admitedly is an epic way to go.  I wouldn't worry to much about your engraver until he starts engraving that dwarf on the skulls of all your other dwarves, however.

Alright, HisHER name is Stukos Hallnamed

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ironically Both her youngest son and daughter both died five years later, A year later her husband died... Then hardly six years after her first son died.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:31:09 am by Javarock »
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 02:44:10 am »

Dwarves engrave things that happened within the same region as your fort with events taking place at the site of your fort taking precedence. A limited number of events means that there just isn't all that much for the engraver to choose from. Because of that, it's best to wait until your fort has a few years under its belt before you start engraving images and spend the time up until then smoothing everything out.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 03:41:33 am »

even then engravers will tend to stick to certain themes.  even after killing around 100 goblins on site you'll still get creatures of the night/mbs trashing people 100 years ago nearby.

Engravers also like to engrave items they like, dwarves they are friends with, interesting local artifacts.  The weirdest ones they create in celebration of a masterwork.  A masterwork engraving of a dwarf doing a masterwork engraving of a masterwork engraving of adding masterwork green glass to the masterwork golden cabinet.....and so on :P
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 03:42:06 am »

You probably embarked early, like on year 1-100, so there's no history to engrave.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 07:49:27 am »

Another thing is that dwarves with low creativity will tend to engrave the same things.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 12:23:26 pm »

Another thing is that dwarves with low creativity will tend to engrave the same things.
This bears repeating, because it makes a huge difference. I usually give the job to dwarves who are "Incredibly creative", or "Has a fertile imagination".
If you have a lot of dwarves, hover over the names one by one in Dwarf Therapist to get an overview of their personality. I don't know which specific personality traits affect engraving, so I just try to avoid phrases like "Not given to flights of fancy", or "Does not posses a great aesthetic sensitivity.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 01:38:13 pm »

You probably embarked early, like on year 1-100, so there's no history to engrave.

Year 250 :P