Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military and their weapons  (Read 558 times)

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military and their weapons
« on: December 21, 2010, 02:22:28 am »

Basically, I've never quite understood the weapons equipped to my military. I am to understand that axes are the best(or just dwarfiest?). Axes kill quickly, hammers smash to bits and remove them from the fight, and archers have range. Obviously there's a niche for the others, what are they? Specifically, I'm looking at an embark screen right now and I want to embark with something other than axedwarfs. Wut Iz bring?

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
Re: Military and their weapons
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 03:06:37 am »

Here we go, to my knowledge:
Axes: Ultimate slashing, limb remover
Swords: Great slashing, bashing, stabbing weapon. A great balanced tool.
Hammers/Maces: Blunt damage breaks bones, heads, necks, ect. I think maces do more damage, but don't quote me on that.
Crossbows: Ranged. Can be used in melee using the hammerer skill.
Spear: Great for stabbing, has a great chance of skewering organs. Can be used by newbie recruits, and still get occasional 1 hit kills.
Wrasslin': No weapons needed, great wrasslers can snap necks at extreme speeds.

That's it, to my knowledge. Besides picks. Those are brutal weapons when used by a legendary +5 miner.
In short: If you're wanting to bring stuff along on embark, I'd suggest spears, as they require little training.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 03:18:35 am »

Shouldn't the question be how many mil/dwarves you're going to take?

Spearmen don't seem to function very well when they're outnumbered.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 03:37:28 am »

In short: If you're wanting to bring stuff along on embark, I'd suggest spears, as they require little training.

Actually, don't

Instead, bring:

Cassiterite + Tetrahedrite + Three woden logs and smith your own spears.

Bronze on embark incredibly cheap when you bring raw materials and more powerfull than overpriced copper weapons. Making then is easy way to give your dwarves experience in weaponsmithing than can pay off later when they become moody.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 11:37:14 am »

Axes: Great against humanoids without adequate armour - chopping bits off and generally causing grievous wounds. Bad against armour.
Spears: Get to the vitals of large fleshy things, adequate against armoured and unarmoured humanoids but not brilliant. Deadly hits don't always disable immediately.
Swords: chance of either of the above, but lack the penetration depth of spears in their stabbing attacks.
Hammers: Good can opener, but not very good against soft targets, don't always kill quickly.
Maces: Similar but less extreme.
Picks: Best dwarf-made weapons in my opinion. Only sharp weapon to have decent velocity, size and penetration depth. The contact area is small enough to dig through armour and large enough to take off limbs.

Foreign weapons of note:
Morningstars put a decent mass behind a very pointy spike that counts as edged. Good at penetrating armour thanks to good velocity and tiny contact area, and deadlier than blunt weapons
Whips are excellent because they aren't modeled as they should be - the game recognises their supersonic velocity but not that only the weight of the tip should be behind the blow.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 11:38:54 am by Alastar »