Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ____ Laced with Water  (Read 1438 times)

S!F

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
____ Laced with Water
« on: December 21, 2010, 01:29:52 am »

I have an outdoor kitchen that's currently rendering some carp fat. It started to rain and the carp fat became "carp fat laced with water." Does this have any effect on the fat rendering process? (EDIT: "carp fat laced with water" has become "carp tallow laced with water") What sorts of other fun things can become laced with water/other things, and for what benefits?

Just curious since I haven't seen anything related to this particular game mechanic on the wiki or in any guides.

(As to why I have an outdoor kitchen and why it's full of carp fat? I'm pretty new to Dwarf Fortress and I just won my first encounter with carp~ They were swimming in a river I intended to channel in order to irrigate some farm land. Not wanting carp anywhere near my dwarves, I thought I was being pretty brilliant by building a wall across my irrigation tunnel and fortifying it, since I'd seen a similar application for keeping lava imps out of forge-powering magma channels. To my horror, when I channeled the river, the crafty bastards invaded my fields anyways...only to promptly kill themselves in the shallow water. ALL FOUR OF THEM. AHAHA. So once I closed the floodgates I had nice muddy fields and several carp corpses ready for butchering. I didn't have any workspace carved out underground yet since I was working on a dining hall and bed rooms, so I set up a butcher's workshop and kitchen outside to process them.

...Will new carp ever spawn in the river? I like the idea of building carp-killing death-chambers for amusement and win, and using their skull totems as decorations. I'd love to rename my fortress Carpbane; is there a way to do this?)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:03:28 am by S!F »

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
Re: ____ Laced with Water
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 07:12:28 am »

Interesting, I've never heard of that before.  Well, make some soap and see if that's laced with water too!  For, what's it called, !!SCIENCE!!

And about new carp spawning...  In theory, yes they will, at the end of the river, but I've been having some WEIRD river things recently (like the draining end drains faster than the feeding end) so you never know!  So in practice, HOPEFULLY you'll have more carp spawn, keh heh...
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 09:15:57 am »

Remember that water laced with salt (or salt laced with water?) are too salty to be drinkable; at least in adventurer mode. Dropping the water laced with salt in the ground makes it be 'water'(normal and drinkable water.). So if you click an well bucket you may see some water laced with salt even if its a river or a pond.

S!F

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 04:08:48 pm »

Hmmm...!!science!!...meaning I should set it on fire? I'd love to see if water-laced things are flammable.

I'm at a loss for how I should start a (controlled?) fire, barring digging down to the magma sea which I'm pretty sure is suicidefun?

It's been one year and no new carp want to play with me. I guess I'll work on building up my industries until I can make some pre-moistened carp soap.