Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating a well in a freezing biome without magma?  (Read 819 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creating a well in a freezing biome without magma?
« on: December 21, 2010, 09:09:38 pm »

Is it possible?  If so, how?  The only thing I can think of is to dig down to the caverns for the pools of water there.  Will FBs fly up through such a well?  If so, can a floor grate stop them?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a well in a freezing biome without magma?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 09:25:55 pm »

If you're not gonna use magma, then the caverns will probably be your only source of water.

You can wall off the path the bucket will travel down to prevent flying cavern creatures from popping out of it, but if they can swim as well as fly there's probably nothing for it. A floor grate would prevent you from having a working well.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a well in a freezing biome without magma?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 11:24:47 pm »

If you have ice up top, you can build a room around it, then cave it in, and it will turn into water.  Sometimes it will turn back into ice for no apparent reason when dug, but at least some of it will remain water.  I'm not sure on the exact rules for temperature after building floors over top of something, as evidence by several frozen miners trying to drink said water when I tried this :(  This will work for places that are freezing almost all the time and have natural lakes, but it won't work if everything is just permanently snow covered.