Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: non-dwarf insanity?  (Read 368 times)

moosecow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
non-dwarf insanity?
« on: December 20, 2010, 02:47:43 pm »

Can creatures other than dwarfs go insane? Like goblins and trolls?

Currently I have a bunch of trolls and goblins in my pit and it would be nice if they just died from insanity, I don't have the mil to go mop it up currently nor do I want to risk moving magma to the pit. I was hoping the trolls would break my caged colossus down there as I didn't have time to connect my lever to his cage before the siege but that didn't work out.

I guess if they don't I could carve a training area for ballistas or something.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: non-dwarf insanity?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 02:49:55 pm »

Well, traders and/or diplomats will go insane if they cannot leave the map, but I don't have a clue about invaders.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 03:21:16 pm »

Use them for archery training, assign wooden or bone bolts to a squad of marksdwarves and station them behind some separating them from the goblin pit. Assuming that there are no ranged enemies in the pit, it's impossible for your marksdwarves to get hurt, and it will take a long time for them to get pincushioned into submission, every bolt fired in the meantime giving XP to the marksdwarves.

It's a complete waste to use them to train siege operation (ballista and catapult), because it's trivial to set up a training ground for it using catapults firing into a channel to preserve the rocks. On the other hand, there have been several reports of people having trouble getting marksdwarves to train, having some helpless targets for them to shoot is one of the most reliable ways to force them to train.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:23:26 pm by twilightdusk »
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

moosecow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 04:43:26 pm »

Hm yeah, I went for the archery thing. Although they sometimes don't want to fire at dumb targets.

Now the one thing driving me insane are things dying outside NOT being forbidden even though I have through orders everything through death forbidden. I want a *EVERYTHING dropped outside for ANY reason is forbidden option*. Or you know, the old stay inside command.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 05:00:48 pm »

you can do the old stay inside command through use of Burrows, though be warned that actually making use of them will cause massive cries of "Urist McWorker has canceled <task>: area inaccessible"
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."