Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Trap & Volcanoes question  (Read 332 times)

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Trap & Volcanoes question
« on: December 20, 2010, 01:13:37 pm »

So I have one of these fun volcano sites which has the magma pillar sticking out almost on its own for a numer of levels.  I am thinking it would make a great magma trap front door. The question: If I pump a bunch of magma up to a container, and the volcano refills itself, if I dump the magma back into the volcano, will it overflow?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Trap & Volcanoes question
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 01:21:07 pm »

Yes. Unlike aquifers or water sources connected to map edges, magma sources don't absorb magma/lava. The magma that you removed earlier will sit on top of the newly-generated magma, overflowing the volcano.

Mind you, if you drain a part of the volcano, then let it refill partway naturally, then fill it the rest of the way with the magma you previously removed, it won't continue to produce more magma until it's drained below its top level again.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Trap & Volcanoes question
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 02:45:53 pm »

My newest embark is on a volcano. Basically, I made a bunch of magma-safe floodgates, put a bunch on the lip of the volcano and hooked em up to a lever in my dining room. Then I channeled out a large area in front of the door as a magma floodplain and then carefully channeled out select bits of the volcano lip. The only problem is the lava takes awhile to evaporate after the doomlever is pulled, but I'm working on some plumbing to flood the area with water. And I can get some obsidian out of it whenever I use the trap. I already have an obsidian farming chamber, but I still consider it a bonus.