Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: There is nothing to catch in the central swamps.  (Read 4334 times)

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: There is nothing to catch in the central swamps.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 07:33:03 pm »

Rivers have carp. Carp=Dead Dwarves=Fun
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 09:02:44 pm »

Well with df, it's higher risk more reward more often than not. Sure those murky pools are safer, but they sure don't have much fish if any in them. Though carp are a whole lot tamer now than they used to be in previous versions. They'll swim away from your dwarves more often than not. And actually a carp in a murky pool is a lot more dangerous than one in the river, since the pools have limited space. You're going to make it think its cornered more often and its going to try to fight the fisher instead of flee.

But if you are really worried about the aquatic wildlife eating your fishers, go and build a pier room with a grate for them to fish through. Simple as that and it eats up stones, which you should have tons of. Failing that, temporarily damn the river and airdrown all the carp. Have a few butcher shops and kitchens ready to go and make carp roasts.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 09:05:00 pm »

Carp are dangerous.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 05:37:41 pm »

Murky pools are great for fishing. They tend to have mussells, which have SHELLS. You know, like turtles. Only turtles have a more limited range of temperature they can be found in now, compared to mussells.

Of course, now that dwarves don't constantly demand shells, they aren't as important as in prior (to 0.31.12) builds.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 05:41:16 pm »

You think that is bad?

"There is nothing to catch in the central ocean."

........it's a god damn ocean. How can there suddenly be nothing to catch? It's not like I embarked on a dead zone. I was catching plenty of fish in the first year. Then there were suddenly none. A single fisher dwarf should not be able to deplete an entire ocean.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 07:04:45 pm »

Not being able to fish hardly means you no longer have an easy source of food. Just gather plants from surface shrubs. Set up a surface farm afterwards. Or just learn to farm underground with appropriate irrigation. Hunting (preferably with soldiers) is another option, as is slaughtering the tame animals you ahve until caravan food supplies.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 07:10:05 pm »

Not being able to fish hardly means you no longer have an easy source of food. Just gather plants from surface shrubs. Set up a surface farm afterwards. Or just learn to farm underground with appropriate irrigation. Hunting (preferably with soldiers) is another option, as is slaughtering the tame animals you ahve until caravan food supplies.

It's quite easy to support your fortress on plants alone. It's just that I like having fish. It's a personal preference. It just feels odd to embark on oceans and not use it as a food source.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 08:52:49 pm »

I only use plants. I never use meat or fish. Just plants.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 06:39:48 pm »

I only use plants. I never use meat or fish. Just plants.
We have spotted an elf!

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 08:03:42 pm »

Try fishing in the cavern water.  Murky pools seem to be lifeless fairly often, whats your embark biome BTW? 

Anyway I use my military to feed my dwarfs.  At first they can wrestle to death groundhogs and crundles and stuff.  Once they have metal armor and weapons everything butcherable becomes a food animal. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...
Pages: 1 [2]