Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question  (Read 760 times)

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
question
« on: December 20, 2010, 07:43:01 pm »

I would prefer if people from australia that live in queensland would answer this but any comment is welcome.

I was driving along towards a green traffic light, I got close to it and it turned amber. My first reaction was to hit the breaks so I did however I was allready too close to the traffic light so I was sliding onto the middle of the intersection and the light was already red so I quickly went into second gear and quickly drove off (btw there was a police station next to the traffic light :-\ ).

My question is, can I get a criminal record for that?
I really can't allow myself to get even a minor one, you would understand if you were in my position.

Thanks in advance to anyone who answeres.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: question
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 08:12:23 pm »

A criminal record? Not that I'm aware of, though I'm Canadian. Ought to just be a fine and possibly a demerit, depending on your driving license system. Running a red because you don't have enough time to stop is very different from just running a red, anyhow.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 08:14:58 pm »

I'm down in Victoria, but I don't think you'd get a criminal record for a traffic offense like this. You can ask the Queensland Police yourself at the bottom of this page; If you have actually done something wrong, you can cast yourself in a good light, as well. Furthermore, I'm not even sure this is a traffic offense, and finally, if nobody noticed, you'll be fine.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 08:25:14 pm »

There were a lot of cars around I'm just gonna hope for the best and thank you all for the help.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 09:51:21 pm »

You finished an inavoidable maneuver, avoiding stopping at intersection. It's the right thing to do. Stopping at it would be the wrong thing to do.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 12:27:02 am »

Orange lights are still not red.

If it's going to be more of a hazard to slam your brakes than it would be to simply cruise through the intersection, by all means, keep cruising (especially applicable in rain or snow conditions, or if someone is directly behind you).
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 04:28:05 am »

I live in QLD, and I recently got my P's, from what i remember from what my instructor told me, amber means: Stop, if safe to do so". i.e. if you can't safely stop at an amber light, then you must keep driving through the intersection.

Edit: Also, if you had of stopped and then reversed back to the line, that is illegal, what you did is what the law states you must do in that situation.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 04:30:00 am by tHe_silent_H »
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 09:53:00 am »

In the US we had a huge court case over "amber" lights a while ago. Basically it comes down to whether or not you had enough time to stop. If you don't, you have to go through. If you do, you should have stopped. If you hit the breaks and stopped in the middle of the intersection, then you have no choice but to continue.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 10:44:59 am »

We have cameras set up in the intersections here in my town, pretty much all the major ones.

Basically, the law doesn't care if you ran a yellow light. The law doesn't care if you locked up your brakes to avoid running a yellow light. The law cares if you just blew through a red light without trying to stop, or if you hit someone in the intersection.

Using the videos, they can calculate the speed of your vehicle as it passes through the intersection. If the camera shoots a photo of your car, it means you were in the intersection when it was red. They then calculate how fast your car was moving to determine what you were thinking. If you were photographed doing 50 in a 35 mile per hour zone, going through a red light, they assumed you raced to beat it and you get a ticket.

If you're photographed doing 40 in 35 and the photo was snapped with you in the middle of the intersection, they assumed you "rolled through on the yellow" and don't give you a ticket.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 03:14:37 pm »

In Canada you are supposed to stop at orange lights if possible, if not you are supposed to continue through, that is why they have them.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 06:41:23 pm »

Yeah, I think the meaning of orange lights is pretty universal.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 07:51:36 pm »

This isn't even a traffic violation, except for the part where you nearly stopped in the middle of the intersection.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 09:21:17 pm »

I ran a red once in the middle of the night at the intersection next to city hall with two cops leaning on their cruiser watching me. We waved.

Trust me, your future career won't suffer.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 02:23:36 am »

True, but he was asking for advice from people in Australia, not from people who live in Hazzard.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?