Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help please.  (Read 658 times)

Fishosk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Help please.
« on: December 18, 2010, 01:09:39 am »

I read somewhere on the forums that if you make every dorf a mechanic,mason and carpenter among other skills everyone will pitch in if the highest lvled dwarf is busy doing something else. However, while trying this out my mechanic is currently making rock doors instead of making mechanisms.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? :-\

Also is there a 16x16 default tileset out there?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help please.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 01:34:41 am »

The idea of giving dwarfs a secondary job is a sound one. For your mechanic problem, just disable masonry, until you get the mechanisms you need. then just re-enable his masonry skill when you need more walls built.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Fishosk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 02:05:06 am »

Thanks.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 02:14:47 am »

You could also go into the Workshop profile, and directly say which dorf can use which workshop, or what skill range may use it.

Helpful, so you can have low skilled masons make blocks, and legionary masons make statues.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 02:30:46 am »

Pheobus is the most popular 16x16 graphics tileset
Ironhand is also a great 18x18 tileset which i use personally.

Fishosk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 06:35:31 am »

Workshop profile? Is that when you press "q" next to a workshop?
Sorry, I am new to this game. :-[

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 08:52:26 am »

Workshop profile? Is that when you press "q" next to a workshop?
Sorry, I am new to this game. :-[
In that menu is where you can find the workshop profile, also I belive you need a manager to use workshop profiles.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

Fishosk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 09:01:33 am »

Oh lol, I didn't see "profiles requires manager"
I'm such an idiot. :P

EDIT: And is it good to get a manager early in the game?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 09:03:51 am by Fishosk »

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 01:14:06 pm »

All a manager needs is a meager office, so just put a chair somewhere and assign it to your manager. If you don't order anything build through your manager, this wont create approve job and wont't slow you down. You can even use a chair inside your dining room.

After my first or second wave of migrants I like to dig a 3x3 to 5x5 room, put in a bed, chair and table (optionally chest, cabinet, armor stand, and weapon rack), make that room bedroom and office, assign it to one of my dwarves and make him both manager and record keeper. I keep hauling enabled for him, but not any important labors, to keep him doing the paperwork most of the time. 
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Fishosk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 08:00:34 pm »

What are the skills for making a manager?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 10:58:32 pm »

If you want a administrator/broker, use judge of intent(Makes sure the trader is not trying to mess with you),Negotiator(so you can mess with them),Appraisal(knowing value of goods helps),Organization(so he can remember what coffer he left his record book in), Record keeping(so you can know what is actually in your stockpiles). I then give the dwarf proficiency in mining, since miners are easily trained, and during first year, manager is not used that often.(Dig Urist! We don't have that much supplies to count now!)
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Fishosk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 06:37:19 am »

Since I don't want to start another thread.
How abundant are offices?

And how do I see my noble's profession?
I want to see them like I see my other dorf labors.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 02:35:55 pm »

Offices are rooms designated from any chair. They are as abundant as you can create chairs.

you can press [n] to view the nobles screen, showing you all of the nobles you have in your fortress. If a given dwarf only has one position, then his job title should be that position as well.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 02:48:13 pm »

Typically on my beginning 7 dwarves, I make sure to give one of them Adequate Appraiser and Organizer - the reason is that even a novice appraiser will typically still get you correct item values and good deals. The other stats - negotiator, record keeper, etc - will level up fairly quickly all on their own. I also usually make him something that I don't use very often but still need good skills at, like Mechanic or Building Designer (a high-level designer will give your dwarves happy thoughts when they see something he designed).

But that's just me.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.