Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rivers, can they keep me safe?  (Read 3060 times)

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rivers, can they keep me safe?
« on: December 18, 2010, 02:36:37 am »

i am building a new fort, well actually an above ground city. it's next to a river and i wanted to know if i would be safe living next to a big old river with no wall to on that side? i intend to be walled off but do i need to bother with the river or am i safe?
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rivers, can they keep me safe?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 02:46:27 am »

Okay I want you to look at the river, and then look at me. Now look at the river again, and back to me. Now look at the river, it is full of angry alligators and all your dwarves are dead.

Many creatures can cross rivers, but they are safer than nothing.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 03:03:06 am »

fair enough but goblins? elf armies? those kinda threats?
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 03:38:03 am »

river is very, very bad. It give you the illusion of safety then suddenly a FB swim through it then you are like OHFFFF-!! The only thing that guarantee safety is total wall in.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Mystery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 04:09:00 am »

I find rivers useful if they have no path leading down to them, like a giant reverse wall. It think they call that a moat. 

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 10:00:23 am »

I had a fort next to a river one time.  I still walled off the sides that touched the river, and eventually walled myself into the map...  But, the bridges I built over the wall did force land animals to path across the heavily trapped and marksdwarves guarded paths.

The problems with a river arise when you start encountering flying or swimming creatures.  Some goblins arrive with these, and then they just bypass all your traps and can sometimes go around your archery defenses...

A river provides safety from MOST ground creatures, but nothing more.

In previous versions it could be much safer (like where flying didn't work correctly so creatures like Dragons simply pathed on the ground instead of up and over a wall).

But, this is Dwarf Fortress, and it's never intended to make you COMPLETELY safe from ANY threat.  Enough of something show up, and your defenses will be worthless.  Although, its relatively quickly that your river becomes worthless as defense.  Usually after the fourth siege or so.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 10:39:00 am »

Marksgobs will also happily fire their arrows over the river if they see somebody.  I don't trust rivers.  Just like how I don't trust trees.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Fancy Admiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 02:22:43 pm »

Also, if you have a biome which might freeze, that river becomes a huge liability in wintertime.  I've had a couple embarks where I consider the river "good enough" for the first couple of years while I'm building enough stone block walls to outline what will be a grand city, only to have the river freeze over at the end of the second year and ... Ambush!  I really would love to know the temp.  This should go on the z-stocks window, cover the whole month on average, and be vague ("Cold", "Almost Freezing", "Freezing", "Mild", "Hot", "Scorching").

But yeah, rivers are great in conjunction with walls right next to them.  Your marksdwarves atop a 2-high wall won't have things getting too close to hit, and the water is close at hand so a small bit of engineering brings some oft-needed (flowing!) water into your fort.  Just don't rely on them for everything.