Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glass walls/floors/windows and pits o' doom  (Read 289 times)

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Glass walls/floors/windows and pits o' doom
« on: December 19, 2010, 04:03:50 pm »

So I'm currently throwing goblins to a war Grizzly bear in a pit with retractable steel spikes, and I was wondering if I could do this adjacent to my dining room: either by having a glass wall with the pit o' doom bordering my dining room, or installing a glass floor in my dining room so it was above the pit. I vaguely remember that dwarves get scared when they see enemies through windows, and was wondering if this applied to glass constructions? I don't want my diners fleeing en masse once the carnage unfolds.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glass walls/floors/windows and pits o' doom
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 04:23:36 pm »

Creatures can see and be seen through windows, but not through walls or floors. Even clear glass walls and floors are totally opaque. Somehow.

So yes, you could do this with constructions. The dwarves won't notice the executions at all, so no real ingame benefit to doing it with glass walls/floors, but at least you get the aesthetic bonuses of doing it, which is of course about 3/4 of why anyone does anything in this game.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!