Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Medical training?  (Read 1047 times)

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Medical training?
« on: December 21, 2010, 07:00:45 am »

Has anyone found a good way to provide training for medical dwarves without doing TOO much damage to the hapless patient-to-be? I read a tutorial that suggested stationing some useless sod on a drawbridge and making him plummet -- but my first test run last night resulted in five broken bones followed by three infections, so it's just a matter of time until the poor sod dies. Rather too lethal for me, and that was only a two-level drop. Sending an unarmored dwarf into the danger room doesn't seem to do anything as long as they wear clothing (or at least I've never seen any hauler who grabbed stuff that my soldiers dropped there get so much as a bruise). I use only one spear per square, though. Ideas?

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medical training?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 08:51:54 am »

My hospital happens to be two Z-levels below the surface. I dug a short tunnel from the hospital entrance to one side, then a 4x4 pit, topped by a retracting bridge. The top of the pit is surrounded by walls, with a door. It's designated as a burrow called "Guinea Pigs."

I take a few newly arrived migrants — ones with no friends — and turn off all their labors and give them the custom profession "Patient." Assign them to the burrow, lock the door, pull the lever.

They drop two Z-levels and land right outside my hospital waiting room … which is also a meeting area. Lots of moderately debilitating injuries, like compound fractures. Good practice for all medical specialties.

The risk, of course, is that I'll cause a spinal that leaves a dwarf paralyzed. Out of the first batch of eight, I got one with a broken spine. I tried to mod my dwarves to heal nervous tissue, so we'll see if he recovers from it. I hope he does, because this time out I was lazy and neglected to build my hospital beds inside automatic drowning chambers. I suppose if he's a permanent invalid I can always wall off the area around his bed and wait for him to die of dehydration.

Oh, helpful hint: The hospital must also be in the "Guinea Pigs" burrow. Otherwise the walking wounded won't go there themselves, nor will the haulers recover them.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 09:23:32 am »

Oh, helpful hint: The hospital must also be in the "Guinea Pigs" burrow. Otherwise the walking wounded won't go there themselves, nor will the haulers recover them.
Discovered that the hard way eh?
"Doc, I think he's got the 'fell from two stories'."
"Yes, we seem to have a lot of those lately. Good thing we've got that totally unrealted trap door up there to make sure they fall right into a bed."

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 01:27:28 pm »

Um, how about giving them helms and dropping one level down on blunt weapon traps? This way there shouldn't be much skin damage so less infections.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science