Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need some advice on dealing with bodies safely  (Read 771 times)

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need some advice on dealing with bodies safely
« on: December 16, 2010, 04:40:17 pm »

Okay, this is the entrance to my fortress...

Being the only entrance, all the sieges spawn here and either die to the traps, or the archery tower there behind them (hopefully).
What I need your help with is a safe way to deal with the bodies and gear that they drop. As it is I lose a dwarf or two because they all mass towards the mayhem as soon as things start to turn ugly. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I'm using the latest version of 40d. I'm not badass enough to upgrade yet.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Need some advice on dealing with bodies safely
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 04:43:37 pm »

Given that you have a magma moat up against the map edge (and you've got a "Dwarf is more experienced" message visible), I'm going to assume that you're still playing version 0.28.181.40d, which means you'll need to go into your Standing (o)rders and change your (F)orbid settings to forbid enemy equipmen(t) drops.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 05:00:39 pm »

Thanks a bunch for the reply! That's certainty helpful, but I'm a bit of clean freak in an attempt to keep my fps up. I have that little lever and bridge set up there beside my weapon traps to deal with equipment that drops. I could build a small bridge that opens up to a hole in the ground and send water in to flood the stuff inside the hole? Are weapons and armor and the like affected by water?

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 06:24:43 pm »

Actually, it couldn't hurt to forbid enemy drops when the actual battle is raging, then go into the designate menu and mass unforbid afterwards, perhaps?

Oh, and by the way, as I recall, iron equipment doesn't melt in magma, so if you flood the equipment into magma you're basically making it really hard to ACTUALLY dispose of it any time soon.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 04:04:48 am »

If you don't really have time to clean up between sieges, either because you have too few idlers or it takes too long to exterminate all the enemies, then I would suggest flooding with magma.  If you put in some channels across the path with grates over them, and connect those northernmost bridges to a lever, you could have it flow from the moat towards your fort and then down a drain to be pumped back up into the moat.  You'll need magma-proof traps though, so bauxite mechanisms and iron/steel weapons only.  Also the grates have to be magma proof ;)  That's really the quickest way to be rid of almost all the mess, and collect only the good loot.  Don't forget to set the option to forbid death items or your dwarves will all rush for that !!silk sock!! and die.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 04:52:25 am »

That just doesn't seem like the safest place for that lever.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 04:57:07 am »

weapons/armour and other items are affected by water yes

However if you are thinking about pressurized water to flush goodies underground for later collection then it may not work.

As I understand it there are a few bugs where items can get pushed into limbo by moving water, i had some eternally rotting bit of cheese in my trade Depot.

If your happy to ignore this kind of thing then water is actually quite effective.  Flood the area, then drain it out and the items will move toward the drain.  Floor bars/grate/staircase will all stop items from falling with the water and all yer loot is on one tile of your choosing before you send dwarves to gather it.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 02:11:29 pm »

Thanks for all the help folks! I'm going to implement  one of these. TO THE DRAWING BOARD!