Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone else have abandonement issues?  (Read 1429 times)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else have abandonement issues?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 08:39:24 pm »

I ditch a lot of forts too but always on the same world.  Im building a world to trawl for my adventurer.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 09:10:14 pm »

I can't keep a fort around either.  Hell, I can't keep a region around!  Even if I take a large region, I'll scrap it if something goes wrong in my fort.  Usually, it's something along the lines of: Make plans (in head), begin excavations, admire work, get distracted by a vein of coal/silver/sapphires, dig out all of the "valuables", get frustrated about the amount of time and effort needed to rebuild the excavated area to match plans, try to work around it, flood the fort, abandon fort, wipe data/save directory.  Sometimes, I get a better idea halfway through the first one, and try to make adjustments that never work.

I've found I prefer the meta-game/community almost as much fun as the game.  Happened to me in WoW, too.  Ended up writing mods more than playing.  Now I just trawl/troll the forums... ;)

You can mod WoW?  :o

Try a megaconstruction and view it in Stonesense (when it updates)

Not really mod it, but there is a Lua interface to the UI that you can write... modules for. It's been a couple of years, but while I was playing, almost no one would run a raid without some mod pack. Auto healing, various alerts, big buttons of doom...
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Rallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 06:33:13 am »

Yep, a megaproject, if possible. A big hulking statue of whatever you want, or a fortress inside said statue, or flooding the map with magma without a convenient volcano, or...

Or paving hell with a giant multicoloured mosaic of a wolf howling at the moon. You can turn hell into the most badass t-shirt design in the universe.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 06:43:32 am »

Put yourself in my shoes. My usual reason for abandonment is: a single dwarf dies/is incapacitated. No dwarf left behind.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 06:54:42 am »

Put yourself in my shoes. My usual reason for abandonment is: a single dwarf dies/is incapacitated. No dwarf left behind.

Wouldn't savescuming be easier?

I'm a habitual abandoner. I think the longest fort I've had is 50 years or so. My issue is I hit a bug, even a minor one, and it kind of ruins my enjoyment of the game. Not in a whiny way, the bug just kind of nags away at me. This build it was the disappearing nobility bug. The builds before that, it was the military bugs.

So I'm still in search of that perfect "first run." And I probably will be perpetually, as I explore more the game and encounter new (and exciting) bugs.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 09:52:25 am »

I keep a log of what happens, it's fun to read and see the whacky adventures the different dwarves have been up to.

Then I thought it'd be fun to sketch the dwarves. So I did that too .. after I had sketched about 20 I noticed that in the current release everyone has the same hair and skin color plus there are quite few variations between dwarves. No one had an extraordinarily broad nose or extremely long hair, no one had straight or wavy hair ... but I wanted to keep drawing.

I have sketched over 130 dwarves. It took some creativity to make everyone look unique with the limitations I just mentioned, but it was fun! Since the game didn't throw me variations I put that in myself. "Neatly combed you say? okay i'll draw it like a lion's mane" :D ... and now, with four years worth of logged material and hundreds of dwarves on paper.. and with large families emerging I couldn't possibly abandon! The 26 children will grow up and marry eachother; can't wait to see the family trees!

It's a freezing desert I have embarked in and while it's supposed to be haunted there's barely any threats around. It is VERY calm.. the caverns don't contain much dangerous things at all... but I greatly enjoy it. I mine and build and mine and build and log and log and log ... and sketch.
 The best part? I'm actually learning much about facial anatomy and I have noticed a significant improvement in non-DF related drawings i make. ... so. like. um.

I think my point is that if you're commited to your fortress or something related to it you won't have the abandonment issue. This game is about building so ... build! Build something! :D Look up some medieval castle or such in your area and try to duplicate it
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 09:59:53 am »

I don't just abandon.

I delete the entire world.

Usually because I get a new idea in my head just as I realize something suboptimal about the one I'm on (such as the last glacier I was on didn't have enough z-levels above ground to complete my dome, so I scrapped it and made a new one).
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
Pages: 1 [2]