Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When are nobles supposed to come?  (Read 794 times)

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When are nobles supposed to come?
« on: December 17, 2010, 10:04:33 am »

i've played DF for a year or two, and usually I get nobles alot.

Lately though, since I switched to DF 31.12 or so with the combat fixes, I never get nobles! Right now I have a fort with 66 dwarfs, 3 artifacts and 145k created wealth and not a single noble has showed up, not even the hammerer or dungeon master. Am I doing something wrong?

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When are nobles supposed to come?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 10:05:32 am »

Nope, nothing wrong. I got as far as Count but he was elected and didn't arrive. The rest of the bunch won't show up.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 10:12:10 am »

In the current version, the Dungeon Master, Hammerer, and Tax Collector never show up due to a bug of some sort.  The Philosopher was removed completely.  You can get a baron/count/duke, but the process is different than in the older versions.  In the current version you get those nobles after having your outpost liaison talk to your mayor and offer to make your fortress a Barony.  The liaison will give you the option of promoting one of your dwarves to the position of baron/baroness.  In order for this conversation to happen, you need to avoid having your Mayor meet with the liaison until after the dwarven trade caravan has left the map.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 10:42:26 am »

What is the benefit of having a Baron/Count/Duke.
I had sieges on forts with and without one, and the Baron/Count/Duke, albeit being a noble, is still working normally.
I also found no evidence of differences on trade caravans...

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 10:56:21 am »

Note that if you're playing 31.12 the Baron/Count thing has another bug.  You can still get a Baron, but you have to work around the bug.  Specifically, when the liaison + traders arrive in the fall, you must NOT talk to the liaison until the traders have left the map completely.  (They may leave a single guard behind -- that's OK.)  Tactics for avoiding a conversation between your mayor and the liaison include locking one or both of them in a room, drafting the mayor into the military, etc.

I believe this bug was fixed in one of the more recent versions (.16 or so). Not 100% sure.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 11:13:58 am »

Im currently running 2 .18 forts.

In the first my mayor was hauler and broker, moved stuff to the depot, made the trade and then started the meeting while the merchants were still at the depot and recieved the barony offer.

second was an identical setup (i thought) but no offer was granted.

Note that the first offer came at 93 dwarves and the second at 81.  perhaps it needs 80 adults?  Also theres supposedly some requirements for jobs you must conduct in the year of the offer.  Nothing major, just a range of normal fortress stuff.

Dungeon Master wont come on his own.  But if you make him appointable_by: in the raws the functionality is there, he just wont spontaneously show up.  I normally make him baron appointable so he arrives round 80-90 dwarves but you could make it expedition leader and start with him
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 11:16:56 am »

Word of mouth says 80 adult dorfs, several different jobs of all kinds (leatherworkings, forgings, masonry, carpentry, clothesmaking, bonecrafting, gemsetting, etc) and a shitload of wealth, although the exact number for these vary widely.

And, as the appointment occur only when the @ liason comes, even if you have met these conditions, it will still take quite a while

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 11:30:13 am »

Thanks guys. Im running 31.18 now. Has toady said anything about fixing the migrating nobles?