Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Corpse disposal  (Read 4606 times)

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Corpse disposal
« on: December 15, 2010, 06:49:56 pm »

I have a corpse problem. They're everywhere. Elf, goblin, mandrill... all over the outside of my fort.

In previous versions, my dwarves would simply take them to a refuse stockpile and that would be that, but for some reason in the latest version they're just leaving them lying around outside. To clarify; they will take a corpse outside if it is "created" inside, but once its outside it just gets ignored. I've set all outside items to be claimed, I've
made a refuse stockpile, a graveyard stockpile and a garbage dump, but they're just not moving the damn bodies. They're not creating miasma, they're just annoying to have to see scattered randomly around the place.

Any ideas?

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Corpse disposal
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 06:55:22 pm »

Standard solution to the standard problem is o for work orders, r for refuse, then o again to make dwarves gather refuse from outside.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 07:18:22 pm »

Ah, now I enabled gathering of "other death items" but I don't know if I actually went into the refuse sub-menu. That could be it. Thanks!

On a side-note, what stockpile do untanned hides go into? Is it refuse?

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 07:52:46 pm »

Yes, untanned hides go to refuse.

Myrmec

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing the [z]tock market
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 03:11:02 am »

Ive got clothing strewn all over the place too, its not forbidden but they just ignore it...?

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 04:36:51 am »

That would be it's own topic or in the little questions thread.

Do you have space in your finished goods stockpile to hold the clothes? If not, there's your problem.
View the item descriptions for the clothes. Dwarves like to claim clothes and never wear them. If they are claimed dwarves will avoid picking them up, except the owner who will place it in his room/office until he rooms out of space.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 05:05:13 am »

Know what I did? I dug a big hole. Like. 5x8 tiles .. this hole goes from the surface all the way down to the first cavern layer.

This is where I put my corpses and refuse stockpile. The bone pile takes directly from here so when something has stopped rotting the dwarves automatically bring it out. I also designated the topmost part of it as a garbage dump.

After a battle I go and select everything left by the battle for dumping, with the exception for armor, weapons, ammunition and dwarven corpses and bodyparts. In no time at all the entire fort has emerged and they're busy running a few tiles back and fourth chucking everything into the big hole. Then I periodically look through the piles, designate them for dumping in an atomsmasher and remove anything that could be useful.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.