Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Never-ending Soldiers  (Read 1525 times)

Pita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Never-ending Soldiers
« on: November 17, 2010, 11:15:40 pm »

I was ambushing a castle with my solo martial artist (whose abilities resemble a fist of the north star character). After quickly sneaking inside the gate unseen, I ducked into the nearest entrance to the castle walls. I then started to assassinate every soldier standing guard on tower tops, hoping to eliminate every threat of an arrow to the back of the head before proceeding to the keep. I was doing well, moving in a clockwise direction, usually letting the adjacent tower see me so that I could lure them to me and snuff them out inside the castle wall, giving archers minimal time to pin me. After time, and some dire moments, I started to get deja-vu. Didn't I already pass this corner of the castle? ...I dismissed the thought since I hadn't caught up with my previous handiwork yet. Until I reached the bottom left corner where I had a very memorable fight where I got an arrow to the gut but managed to survive and recover from some serious vomiting. Nothing was there from my previous encounter, and fresh soldiers had replaced my victims. I stopped and realised I had almost gone around the entire castle twice!

I imagine the problem was because the castle was located over several sectors (what do you call them?), so moving from one end of the castle to the other caused the other half of the castle to refresh.

This makes me wonder: Do the castles have actual hidden populations? If I keep going around (I had gone crazy by that point), will they eventually run out of men? Does this require testing by morbid adventurers? XD

And, if they are infinite, it probably won't be that way forever, so it's now or never to start a high score table for 'most kills in a single castle by a solo adventurer'

I'll start:

"Lefari Thundereyes the Quiescent Lizard of Families", 49 Kills @ Longhills Fortress, Demi-God Elf Wrestler, lived to tell the tale, retired in Twilightgale where he now peacefully passes the days drinking fine human blood and taking long walks.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Never-ending Soldiers
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 04:23:21 am »

I tested this by generating a world in 31.18. I then modified the raw file for that save game so humans would spontaneously ignite and incinerate, dying quickly. I created an elf adventurer, and traveled from the burning starting hamlet to a fortress.

At the fortress, I had my elf sleep repeatedly in the keep. Every time he woke and walked around, there were many freshly-burning humans around. There were lots of "*bled to death*" messages too. The lord of the fortress never respawned, but the soldiers appeared endless. I did this about 20 times, killing at least 20 humans per sleep, for about 400 humans total.

I then retired the elf in a nearby hamlet after attempting to depopulate it, without any luck either. Every time you visit, each house is full of people.

The fortress' stats in legends:

1021: Irnatngosp, "Tinscuffled", fortress
   Owner: The Plaited Unions, humans
   law-giver: Ketas Goldensalves, human
   41 humans

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 03:03:06 pm »

Ya...I killed about a hundred wrestlers once, and they just kept growing right back like shrooms on speed.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 03:24:48 pm »

Yeah this infinite soldiers thing ruined my day when I was trying to depopulate all elven fortresses (genesis mod)....I was about 55 kills in when I decided to stop trying...cause it was a tiny fort with only a handful of units originally...granted if I remember correctly I died shortly after from a super lucky shot to the foot that cascaded into me getting hit more and finally dying

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 03:38:41 pm »

I've set it so goblins have cities (and thus castles)

Does this mean I could attack a goblin fort and fight endless waves of them? D=

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 01:21:18 am »

Yes

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 10:39:17 am »

sorry wrong topic >,<
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:40:56 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

NaziBad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 04:14:52 am »

It seems that houses in hamlets get fewer people(in case of elf, cattle) everytime you depopulate, leave the map, then come back to finish the stragglers who stupidly believe going back home is safe. I am still disappointed in Genesis for not having elven children to kill and eat.
"Better is one's own law of works, swadharma, though in itself faulty than an alien law well wrought out; death in one's own law of being is better, perilous is it to follow an alien law." - Bhagavad Gita