Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can't Save, Please Help  (Read 1357 times)

chocopaco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Save, Please Help
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 11:40:30 am »

still no save file
is there a way i can just make on myself and have it put my saves there

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 11:45:12 am »

well i would recommend to dl the package again unzip it in a neutral folder and then move that folder into your game folder or wherver you play .. to just clearify its not the installation thats somehow messed up

chocopaco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 08:32:37 pm »

it might be installation that's messed up because i downloaded it again with the preloaded mayday tileset and without the preloaded mayday tileset and they don't have save folders

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 10:13:48 pm »

There shouldn't be a save directory right away, but there should be one in [dwarf fortress install directory]\data\ once you've managed to create a world. If something is keeping dwarf fortress from creating or writing to this directory (a read only tag) or some kind of extremely prohibitive security settings on some firewall software or something like that that is keeping the game from creating directories, then that may be the issue.

Actually, after testing a fresh install on my system, if the \data\ directory is changed to read-only, the game will not even run. If \data\save\ is changed to read-only, it will still let you generate a world and play. Only if you first create a world, and then change \data\save\ and subdirectories to read-only will it fail to register your created worlds.

So my guess is something is keeping the game from creating \data\save\ , if you can't find it after creating a world. As was already suggested, try unzipping the game to a different location and seeing if your results differ. If they don't, my bet would be some kind of overzealous security issue.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 10:24:36 pm »

There shouldn't be a save directory right away, but there should be one in [dwarf fortress install directory]\data\ once you've managed to create a world. If something is keeping dwarf fortress from creating or writing to this directory (a read only tag) or some kind of extremely prohibitive security settings on some firewall software or something like that that is keeping the game from creating directories, then that may be the issue.

Actually, after testing a fresh install on my system, if the \data\ directory is changed to read-only, the game will not even run. If \data\save\ is changed to read-only, it will still let you generate a world and play. Only if you first create a world, and then change \data\save\ and subdirectories to read-only will it fail to register your created worlds.

So my guess is something is keeping the game from creating \data\save\ , if you can't find it after creating a world. As was already suggested, try unzipping the game to a different location and seeing if your results differ. If they don't, my bet would be some kind of overzealous security issue.

If this is being done on a windows computer, try saving to a "Saved games" directory under your user folder rather than to the c:/programs folder, Windows computers tend to get overzealous about preventing things from affecting the programs folder.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

chocopaco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 03:28:52 pm »

Alright, well i changed the read only to so it doesn't have a check mark and applied to the data folder. When i go back to the data folder properties, the read only isn't exactly check marked but there is a light green box in the check mark box everytime even when i take it out and apply it to the folder, it is still there.
Is that going to mess anything up?
Pages: 1 [2]