Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Staying Motivated  (Read 1124 times)

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
Staying Motivated
« on: December 13, 2010, 09:30:16 pm »

Hey guys.

So, I'm a firm believer that you can accomplish great things if you have the motivation and the follow through.  It's worked well for me so far.

But now I'm getting burnt out.  I have 1 week of finals plus one semester left in school, and I honestly don't care about it at all.  It's funny; I want to care, but I just can't get myself to.

Any of you have the same problem?  Any recommendations on how to help yourself get over it?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
At last, she is done.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Staying Motivated
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 09:43:09 pm »

one day you are going to die and you will only be remembered by the things you left behind

get to it
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 10:01:36 pm »

Yes. I have the same problem.

There is no real solution. There is no cognizant thought that can help you. You just have to do it.

If you just stop now you'd be fucked anyways. What else are you really going to do? Just find ways to enjoy yourself in between all the bullshit. Live for the fun times.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 10:10:55 pm »

My friends call your condition "Senioritis."  You're nearly done, and you just want to be done, but can't muster the strength to finish it off.  I had the same problem... and I just had to deal with it really.  Just don't give up, you WILL regret that at least.  Finish what you started, you can do it :)

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 11:12:35 pm »

Think about the consequences of not mustering enough motivation. Imagine them, and if you continue to lack motivation, imagine the even more long term consequences. By the time you get to lying dead in the gutter (in the scenario, of course), you should be ready to work like a madman to avoid this.
[/post]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 06:35:54 am »

My friends call your condition "Senioritis."  You're nearly done, and you just want to be done, but can't muster the strength to finish it off.  I had the same problem... and I just had to deal with it really.  Just don't give up, you WILL regret that at least.  Finish what you started, you can do it :)

I have that too. I actually have a huge pile of games I've almost beaten but havn't actually done so. I've tried to start a creative project for the past years and havn't actually done so.

Though I also have something called: Lack of Self-motivators

Which is an interesting way of saying: "I don't have the usual motivation to do things others simply do everyday"

Suffice it to say I don't really have a solution...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:36:20 am by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 06:00:49 pm »

one day you are going to die and you will only be remembered by the things you left behind

get to it

Sadly, this is the best advice I can give on the subject.  Having good teachers to yell at you also tends to help, in my experience.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 10:55:30 am »

get to it

Sadly, this is the best advice I can give on the subject.  Having good teachers to yell at you also tends to help, in my experience.
On an unrelated note: Humanity does not purge the names of people everyone hates anymore.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 11:56:09 pm »

Just think to yourself:

"Don't let down everyone who ever trusted you and everyone who ever cared about your existence."

also if you change the words to:

"You've let down everyone who ever trusted you and everyone who ever cared about your existence."

it works well for deadpan comedy and crying on command.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 01:53:57 am »

You don't need motivation, you just need to force your hand.
Hello Hunam

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 08:08:21 am »

A lot of people get bogged down by asking themselves, "Who am I to be great?"

Think about whether you're dwelling on that, and then think about how silly it is.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 04:45:29 pm »

You don't need motivation, you just need to force your hand.

You need motivation to force your hand.

Heh, I get burned out too. Anyone who thinks "you can accomplish anything you put your mind to" will get burned out :P I don't know any cure to it, other than taking a break. Force yourself to get away from that computer and take a long walk.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 06:41:08 pm »

1.  Music

Recommendations to get you started:
Muse - Butterflies & Hurricanes
ReVamp - Million
Guano Apes - Open Your Eyes
Daft Punk - Better, Faster, Stronger
Manowar - Sons of Odin (Seriously.  A couple times when I've really felt beaten, I've listened to that ending monologue "And in their hour of need, he sent forth unto them the berserker rage!  They rose up from the ground, SCREAMING LIKE WILD ANIMALS!")
Anything by van Canto
In general you can't go wrong with power metal

2.  Don't burn yourself out.  Know when to take breaks and how to moderate them.  Nothing is more unproductive than being overworked.  Too many people don't understand that.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 07:53:15 pm »

Oh yeah:  FORCE YOURSELF TO SLEEP.

"I'm being really unproductive this sucks I can't do anything and I'm not motivated and" GO TO BED

You will be more productive in the morning.  You WILL be more productive in the MORNING.  And even if you're not, you actually got sleep, which is good for your health.  Ask yourself:  Is staying up that extra hour past 2 AM really good for anything?  Are you even enjoying it?  No?  Go to bed.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!