Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cool Embark! (apologies for the pun)  (Read 1462 times)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Cool Embark! (apologies for the pun)
« on: December 17, 2010, 09:18:27 am »

So I've just embarked on a new glacier in a new (and much colder) world. The embark is 3x5, with a volcano in the top center. As soon as I embark, I get the usual "cave-in" warning, but as I look around, I notice a couple of odd things.

First of all, there appears to be very straight paths "dug" about the mountains (which I will get to in a moment). like so:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Secondly, and more awesome to me, is the two spire-like mountains that flank it to either side, extending up 114 and 115z-levels respectively. They are almost perfect cones (though the left one has another peak off its back, it seems), with square bases, thanks to the aforementioned paths. The volcano cone appears to be made mostly of ice.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And finally, upon attempting to view this pile of awesome in Stonesense, I see some sort of lines below the ice, in what might be obsidian. Anything to this, or just something strange that Stonesense does with glacial ice? dfReveal shows nothing but typical stone layers, mostly igneous (big surprise). I think it might be some sort of "reflective" deal put in. The only modification I've made to Stonesense is the "Additional Ramps" pack on the wiki

Beware: these images are MASSIVE. (more than 6MB each) As such, I've linked directly to the hosting site instead of the image itself. To view the whole image, just click it at the site. The resolution of each image is 4608x5652.
Default Angle
Another Shot

Thoughts? Ideas? My first impression is to build a sacrificial altar to Armok between the two peaks, to throw prisoners into the volcano from a hanging pit at the level of the peaks.

EDIT: I also have the site saved, so far untouched but with the first embark team on site, if anyone wants. *shrug*
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:22:02 am by CapnUrist »
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cool Embark! (apologies for the pun)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 10:43:41 am »

Wow. That's just awesome. Where will the dwarves live? Perhaps you could turn the two mountain peaks into a giant castle? The sacrificial altar stuff is great, of course.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 10:44:35 am »

sweeeet...

protip: when taking screenshots of ice in stonesense, press 'h' once before taking the shot. that'll remove the black boxes below the ice.

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 10:50:18 am »

Create a bridge between the two towers, the bridge must be built out of glass, the fort must be on top of the bridge and made entirely out of glass. Also, in the middle of the fort leave a small 2x2 open space. Dump all your trash on it.

Bonus: Pump some water up the mountain into the glass fort.
=Bonus=: Create automated pumps to pump magma up the mountain, channel it through your fort and then to this open space only for it to fall its 150 Z levels and splash everywhere. (beware of the magma mist forming upon the magma descent have fun!)

Vertigo fortress.

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 10:51:18 am »

Also, please, upload the region/embark to us commoners!

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 11:09:19 am »

I think you should have just claimed that this was your finished megaproject.

Take the credit.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 11:12:25 am »

Very cool.

I say do both.  Build an altar between the peaks, but have your dwarves live inside the hollowed out mountains.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 11:15:37 am »

also, the magma falls should be in the center of the embark, falling onto the icefield, for great glory.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 11:40:29 am »

Congratulations, you have just discovered DF's Necrons. The only thing remaining is to wake them up and weaponize them.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 12:03:53 pm »

Armok's christmas trees. Plate the mountains with olivine, decorate with gibs to taste.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 12:49:35 pm »

Make them into DWARVEN MISSILE SILOS  :o
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 04:40:38 pm »

Excellent ideas all around. I have resisted the temptation to go ahead and start working before reading this thread (read: went out to eat with fiancee and interact with the "real world"), so I will be taking these into account. My only wondering is having the two mountains connected only be the sacrficial bridge; perhaps two separate fortresses meeting only to murder common enemies before returning to their respective mountains? A dwarven Hatfields 'n' McCoys?

@nickdx: Glass would be very difficult to manage since the embark is entirely glacier with the two mountains here; i.e. no sand. Even creating a simple bridge out of green glass would take many caravans to provide the sand necessary.

And as asked, here is the embark:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3572
As noted in the first post, my dwarves are already there, but feel free to abandon and come along with your own; consider the scattered tower cap logs to be my Dwarfmas gift.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."