Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So I'm thinking of watching Dr. Who  (Read 1426 times)

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I'm thinking of watching Dr. Who
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 09:41:51 am »

Dr Who went pretty awful in the mid eighties, but I would say that some of the seventies ones are definately worth a look. I wouldn't worry about a consistant timeline too much. They would tend to work as stand alone mimi-series things. And most clusters of episodes were written by different people. Douglas Adams wrote some of the episodes in the early seventies, and if they still exist then it would probably be worth tracking them down. (Not that I have ever tried.) Of course the acting was ham, the sets cardboard and the special effects laughable by today's standards, but the old ones are still much loved.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 10:01:33 am »

The older episodes needn't be watched first.

When I was introduced to the Doctor, I went through the new series first and then got into the old later.

It's sort of like deciding whether to watch Star Wars IV-V-VI-I-II-III or I-II-III-IV-V-VI. It doesn't matter and it's just personal preference.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 10:48:37 am »

You speak as though George Lucas made some kind of prequel trilogy to the only 3 star wars movies ever made.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Maric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 09:20:37 pm »

Well if you are going to skip the old ones at least watch the ones with the fourth doctor. I found all the other ones except the new ones and the fourth to be pretty interesting and cool.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 09:32:11 pm »

I wish Netflix had subtitles or closed-captioning on their online versions (if they do, how?).

That said--Yeah I like the new ones more than what I've seen of the old ones.

Important note that I didn't realize until at least a season and a half in:  You hear a lot about the Time War in the new series; its existence is non-spoilery.  But it happened between the old and the new series.  So yeah, it hasn't always been there, and there wasn't some big plotline about it in the old series.  It's a new thing.  And it's handled well.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 10:28:44 pm »

I guess it's just what you started with (and I'm not an avid Dr. Who fan.) 4th doctor was where I was introduced to the series.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 11:07:40 pm »

You speak as though George Lucas made some kind of prequel trilogy to the only 3 star wars movies ever made.
Did you know that some people took this idea, and actually made some hilariously campy fan-made movies, shamelessly parodying the backstory of the characters from Star Wars? Low-brow humour and thinly-veiled criticism of the state of our society and film industry abounds. They're worse than South Park, showing complete disregard for good taste, and reveling in their C-class, so-bad-it's-hopeless, rompines. There are even fake credits rollin at the end of the movies, stating that it's G.Lucas' creation!
Go and watch these! They're like the new, more extreme, Toxic Avenger. IN SPACE.

Oh, and watch only the new Dr Who. The old ones are too campy and not self refferential enough for modern tastes. If you'll turn into a Dr Who fanatic, then you can try doing the rest.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 11:10:20 pm by Il Palazzo »
Pages: 1 [2]