Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Footage  (Read 1272 times)

Happy Chappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Footage
« on: December 13, 2010, 03:48:46 pm »

Hello forum-folk,
I am here to make a...proposition, of sorts.
For, you see, I am making a review of Dwarf Fortress, and don't worry it's not negative. However, in editing I have hit a snag. Normally I would use fraps (the free version with the watermark) to record game-footage, but for DF that obscures the screen, and cropping out the watermark makes it so there's even less for the average viewer to understand.

So, here's my proposition. I'm asking whether any of you people could be so kind as to record some footage, any old random stuff, from DF so that I may use it? It needs to be Vanilla DF with no mods though.

Anyone whos footage I use will get credited, but sadly I can't offer you much more than that.

Thanks in advance,
Happy Chappy
Ratmen are the Squats of Dwarf Fortress. They didn't make it.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Footage
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 03:55:26 pm »

Couldnt you use the built in recorder?
This is a blank sig.

Happy Chappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 04:04:50 pm »

Wait....there's a built in recorder?
I'm a damned fool for not noticing this. In that case, any tips on how to actually use it, and what file it exports footage as?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 04:17:00 pm »

It exports a weird file that can only be read by DF or put up on this site, IIRC.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 04:44:39 pm »

Well, I don't see what footage would really help with a DF review, considering that visuals are the main weak point and don't convey that much at all. I think some good footage would be a collapsing structure and/or fighting creatures in arena mode. Or spawning creatures high up and dropping them in the arena 8)

There's not that many DF reviews, so I'd probably read it, and good job for getting DF out into the public! And don't worry about not noticing the in-game recorder, I still cannot find the macro function!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 04:49:15 pm »

You could try using the Let's Plays/video tutorials on Youtube.

n't worry about not noticing the in-game recorder, I still cannot find the macro function!

Ctrl-r to record, Ctrl-p to play, Ctrl-s to save, Ctrl-L to load.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Happy Chappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 04:53:25 pm »

Well, I don't see what footage would really help with a DF review, considering that visuals are the main weak point and don't convey that much at all. I think some good footage would be a collapsing structure and/or fighting creatures in arena mode. Or spawning creatures high up and dropping them in the arena 8)

There's not that many DF reviews, so I'd probably read it, and good job for getting DF out into the public! And don't worry about not noticing the in-game recorder, I still cannot find the macro function!

Thanks for the support :) Though, it's a video review with my horrible voice and everything. I sort of wanted some footage, just to point out the ASCII graphics, and explain about tilesets, and things like Stonesense.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 05:08:36 pm »

Use one of the videos on DF map archive, there are some good ones there.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/

metime00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 07:28:09 pm »

n't worry about not noticing the in-game recorder, I still cannot find the macro function!

I meant the function I've heard about where you can make your own macros, not ones related to the in-game recorder. :P
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 07:36:58 pm »

Use one of the videos on DF map archive, there are some good ones there.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/
This. Finding a recorder from somehting rendered in flash should be easier to.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Happy Chappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 07:38:38 pm »

The Map archive does indeed have a lot of good clips. But, how would one go about downloading said clips?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 10:28:32 pm »

I meant the function I've heard about where you can make your own macros, not ones related to the in-game recorder. :P

Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

metime00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 02:52:59 pm »

Ohhh... I'll have to try that sometime now. Thanks, sorry for not knowing what I'm talking about.