Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Emulating Amiga games  (Read 5557 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emulating Amiga games
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 05:33:45 am »

So was the Amgia to PC's like what Mac's where to PCs in the 90s?

More like it was what beta was to VHS, only more so. Amiga architecture was vastly superior, but the market chose to buy into inferior technology. Amiga systems used Motorola processors capable of addressing several megabytes of RAM, the OS was capable of multitasking, they had integrated multi-channel 8-bit sound, they could do 3D rendering...and all this in an era when PCs were were running DOS using three or at best 16 color graphics, single channel 4-bit speakers, and Bill Gates was proudly claiming that 640K "outta be enough memory for anybody."

Watch this video to get an idea of the performance difference. Those PC versions aren't so bad solely because of poor conversion. PCs were simply incapable of doing what the Amiga did, and in some cases the PC conversions were done years later because it took that long for PC hardware to catch up enough even to try as badly as shown in that video.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 05:43:08 am »

From what I've heard, UaE is the best emulator. I've linked you to the Windows version of the emulator. Anyway, what's Amiga like?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 11:22:44 am »

The Amiga was basically one of the best gaming systems of its time (along with other things).  There are a ton of games I remember playing on it, a few random other things like that one drawing/animation program, etc.  Some of these games started entire genres (and of course, many got ported elsewhere also after-the-fact). 

The only replacement I had for a long time after the Amiga was basically consoles: the PC had nothing good to offer for a long, LONG time (and I even still used the Amiga for a long time too, until eventually, shamefully, it got tossed in a cleanup after some PC purchase of a 'new-omg-computer').
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 02:01:18 pm »

Okay after seeing that video, I now understand the hype about that thing.
Thank you based dwarf.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 02:09:22 pm »

When using the Amiga emulator keep in mind that you WILL need both of the most common workbench/bios images (1.2 and 1.3 was it?) as about half of the games available work on one but not the other (games that work on both are rarer).

This is specially annoying when you want to have a sort of "dedicated" emulated computer, with a hard disk and everything, because you still need to switch to floppy-only on 1.2 for a lot of games.

Sometimes just using the wrong bios will give you that sort of errors.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 04:58:48 pm »

I have no idea what an Amiga is

It is a female friend.
Pages: 1 [2]