Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Self Portraits...  (Read 3348 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Self Portraits...
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2010, 07:29:29 am »

Australia gets to call its people Australians because the country is called Australia.

Citizens of the USA aren't called USians for the same reason that Canadians aren't called Confederians. Their founders inadvertently named the country "America" in their Declaration of Independence. The British fought a long hard war to make sure they used the name Columbia, but it didn't work out.

Ipso facto, they're called Americans.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2010, 07:40:24 am »

From what we gather from movies and sitcoms (aka National Geographic about the Indigenous USians)

If you seriously let TV and movies inform you about what people from the US are like, I feel really, really bad for both you and any Americans you meet.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2010, 07:43:11 am »

Rereading that post, I see a bit of condescencion.

I think they would appreciate you more at a hate site, Siquo. Not Stormfront, I think they have a differing opinion than you do. Maybe there is a place where you can go.

Also, I don't know how well you know history, but this is an indigenous American, not whatever you're thinking of:

I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2010, 08:13:12 am »

@siquo I don't see where you're coming from with australia. It's a continent and a country composed of 8 states and territories. I just don't see the link between us calling australia australia and the US calling the US america?
Papua is a part of the australian continent, as is Timor and parts of Indonesia, you insensitive clod!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_%28continent%29

So, you got skips and abbies, I can live with that (well, not counting the Indos and Chinese but they already have good country names).

Usually it's abos, but it's a fairly taboo-for-reasons-of-racism term. 'Koori' and even 'Blackfella' are, I think, more accepted.

Australians... just Aussies, I guess

'Ocker' or 'Skip' both work, at least for Anglo-Australians.

Where did you get those?

Years of living here. Skips is more just for any anglo-australian (And a good part of the rest of Europe as well, basically anyone white with a few generations of Australian heritage to have absorbed the culture.), whereas 'ocker' I think is mostly used either by En Zedders, or specifically about Steve Irwin-style stereotypical Aussie Skips.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2010, 03:26:59 pm »

The EnZedders I know want to be called after a dumb bird named after a fruit... But the ones I know all play rugby so don't tell them I said that ;)

In other news, [snip] I had a really funny post here but since some people are already irritated and it was grating on the edge of what's being allowed in terms of racism on this forum I'll just delete it and leave it at that :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2010, 05:08:36 pm »

From what we gather from movies and sitcoms (aka National Geographic about the Indigenous USians)

If you seriously let TV and movies inform you about what people from the US are like, I feel really, really bad for both you and any Americans you meet.

But isn't that what informs Americans what they're like? Fuckin' ay.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2010, 06:16:36 pm »

I don't think Americans need to be informed about what Americans are like by TV shows or movies. I at least hope not.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2010, 06:45:06 pm »

Nobody else claims the name and "the inhabitants of North and South America" is a rare enough concept that I don't think we need a word reserved for it.

Refusing to call them by their accepted names and inventing new ones instead seems a bit extreme simply to avoid feeding their egos, or something. I mean, do you take issue the the European Union's name also?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2010, 06:48:36 pm »

Yeah television isn't for informing us of what we're like, it's informing us of what we want to be like. What you see on television is the hopes, dreams, and aspirations of every American.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2010, 07:01:12 pm »

Yeah television isn't for informing us of what we're like, it's informing us of what we want to be like. What you see on television is the hopes, dreams, and aspirations of every American.
Yep, every single one of us want's to be big boobed and tan...

I'm locking this since it's way off topic.  I left it go long enough. ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 2 [3]