Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to clean my dwarves..  (Read 1956 times)

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to clean my dwarves..
« on: December 06, 2010, 07:02:39 pm »

So, had a wonderful forgotten friend visit me, it was great, but he left about 20 dwarves nauseous, and they proceeded to puke all over. then dwarves walked in it along with cats and other useless animals and spread it along, and puked because of the vomit.
my fort is literally covered in vomit, every friggin inch of it. where dwarf walks, vomit follows.

I built a little channel and filled it with about 3-4 units of water and made it so the dwarves would walk through it and get cleaned, but not only did this not work, but somehow there was blood in the water so now the channel is filled to the brim with blood.

How do i go about cleaning my dwarves emasse? they try to clean themselves but I get this error: Urist mcwalkthroughvomit cancels clean: area inaccessible.

help? I dont really care about my fort getting clean, I'm building a new one deep underground, but I want that to remain semi clean.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: How to clean my dwarves..
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 07:13:48 pm »

First, forbid all soap that isn't in your hospital.  Dwarves don't know how to use soap outside a hospital, they pick it up and then get confused and cancel the job.  Without soap, they'll go and clean themselves at a well.  Make sure you have lots of wells.

Chain, cage, or kill all your animals.  Animals spread contamination around and never clean themselves off.

Water doesn't do a very good job of cleaning up contamination, it mostly just spreads it around.  A pool of water 3-4 deep that your dwarves are forced to walk through is a good preventative measure, but won't help if your entire fortress is covered in vomit.  A violent torrent of water through the fortress might move some of the vomit away, but is more likely to just spread it around and multiply it.

Flooding the contaminated area with magma is ultimately the only way to sterilize it.  Ok, not the only way, but it's by far the dwarfiest.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 07:14:24 pm »

The utility DFhack has a function DFclean that gets rid of broken arrows,blood,vomit etc.

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 07:19:39 pm »

First, forbid all soap that isn't in your hospital.  Dwarves don't know how to use soap outside a hospital, they pick it up and then get confused and cancel the job.  Without soap, they'll go and clean themselves at a well.  Make sure you have lots of wells.

Chain, cage, or kill all your animals.  Animals spread contamination around and never clean themselves off.

Water doesn't do a very good job of cleaning up contamination, it mostly just spreads it around.  A pool of water 3-4 deep that your dwarves are forced to walk through is a good preventative measure, but won't help if your entire fortress is covered in vomit.  A violent torrent of water through the fortress might move some of the vomit away, but is more likely to just spread it around and multiply it.

Flooding the contaminated area with magma is ultimately the only way to sterilize it.  Ok, not the only way, but it's by far the dwarfiest.

magma showers eh?
better prioritize this rare treat based on rank...
also, thanks a ton. gonna chain/slaughter every animal and track down my soap and look into dfclean.. thanks a ton!! :D

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 07:53:10 pm »

>run dfcleanmap
>woot maps clean!
>zoom down to watch progress on magma smelter
>return to surface
>cats tracking vomit everywhere
GOD DAMN YOU CATS!!! >:(

ATTENTION ALL PET OWNING RESIDENTS OF THE FORTRESS
PLEASE REPORT TO THE DANGER ROOM
THANK YOU!
 ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 07:57:24 pm by ZachUSAman »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 07:59:21 pm »

Make channels along major hallways, they only need to be 1 tile wide. Fill them with 2/7 water so it won't evaporate.

All dorfs and creatures walking through it will be cleaned. You just need a poolboy to occasionally clean up the water in the channel and you're golden.

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 10:24:51 pm »

When I had this problem, I had to use a combination of dfcleanmap, cleaning trenches, mass butchering and marching EVERYONE (animals included) outside in the rain

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 10:30:12 pm »

I just found out about dfcleanmap in the dfhack set today and it is GOLDEN.

However in the past I have made an outdoor statue garden and periodically blasted a pump at it to wash all the partiers.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 11:00:19 pm »

Ooh, that's right. I think mist automatically cleans things. Set up a waterfall somewhere and make everybody walk through while flooding the infected area or something, I dunno.

It would be nice if the Cleaning labor was more reliable, too. Maybe if you had a dorf or two with no labors except cleaning? And then you had every animal get marched back and forth under a waterfall.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 02:52:13 am »

designate meeting area with a 2-wide hallway the only entrance to it.  channel out a 2x1 tile gap across the hallway, cover with grates.  place two pumps drawing from those two squares, then another set above.  Provide power, start a fill pond task.  your dwarves will get a very happy thought and get a bath every time they visit the meeting hall.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 01:40:04 pm »

designate meeting area with a 2-wide hallway the only entrance to it.  channel out a 2x1 tile gap across the hallway, cover with grates.  place two pumps drawing from those two squares, then another set above.  Provide power, start a fill pond task.  your dwarves will get a very happy thought and get a bath every time they visit the meeting hall.

Interesting idea, its a basic mist generator, albeit stacked vertically. There's no reason why it needs to be 2 tiles wide. You could make it 50 tiles wide if you wanted to!

And there's no reason why you need to use water. You could use magma instead of water.  :D

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 01:53:37 pm »

The main issue is that, while your fortress is filthy, dwarves will get vomit on them whenever they walk through some. Build (C)onstructed stairs and ramps where ever there is a carved one that is contaminated. First, building will automatically designate those spaces to be cleaned, and second of all, constructions get cleaned by idle dwarves far more regularly than carved elements do. Similarly, build (C)onstructed floors or smooth any contaminated floor tiles, for the same reason.

On a similar note, dwarf-washing trenches work far better if the ramps are constructed rather than carved, as the contaminants will get cleaned off that way.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 02:48:44 pm »

Interesting idea, its a basic mist generator, albeit stacked vertically. There's no reason why it needs to be 2 tiles wide. You could make it 50 tiles wide if you wanted to!

Not my original design.

well, if I'm going to build a mist generator its going to be in a location dwarves will walk through (meeting hall + booze on other side), so a 1 tile wide mist generator is a bad idea.  the pumps are facing outward from the hallway, so making a 3-wide curtain of water would require a few more pumps, a more difficult design, and would involve more flowing water eating my cpu cycles.

z

FXxGGxXF                G- grate,   F- floor, X- pump output tile

z+1

GxXGGXxG

And there's no reason why you need to use water. You could use magma instead of water.  :D

HURRRRR
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 02:51:21 pm »

Instead of cleansing water you could create a wall of magma to incinerate all who pass through it.

Make the grates out of lignite, coal, or graphite and they burn forever, IIRC. (At least they used to at one point, this may have been fixed by now.)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 03:19:42 pm »

This post, uhhh.... This post got put in the wrong thread somehow.... Sorry...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 04:12:09 pm by Frogwarrior »
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0