Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using the new combat system...  (Read 1171 times)

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using the new combat system...
« on: December 05, 2010, 10:07:12 pm »

I like to cut off peoples' heads, and take the head as a war trophy. Anyone else do this?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Using the new combat system...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:11:33 pm »

Just as a bit of roleplaying I'll always bring back some severed part of the creature to questgivers. I always found it a bit odd how they just take your word for it when you come back after killing something. I'll drop it at their feet before turning it in. Carrying them all around forever would weigh me down too much.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 10:12:53 pm »

Well, i never kill anything;
But when i do use the combat system for whatever reason, i tend to grab them by the throat with my lower left arm, choke unconscious, slash the throat with my right hand, walk away.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 10:29:17 pm »

But when i do use the combat system for whatever reason, i tend to grab them by the throat with my lower left arm, choke unconscious, slash the throat with my right hand, walk away.

You never kill anything...?

Well, I was killing things. Bogeymen to be specific. And I used a random attack on one. I ended up biting it's head off.

Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 10:51:18 pm »

All I do is take opportunity shots, even worthless ones. I like to think of my adventurers as clever fighters. After all, it would take someone truly brilliant to realize that the opponent's left ring finger is completely unguarded... and then bite it off. You know. When they could have, almost as easily, stabbed them in the torso.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 10:53:09 pm »

All I do is take opportunity shots, even worthless ones. I like to think of my adventurers as clever fighters. After all, it would take someone truly brilliant to realize that the opponent's left ring finger is completely unguarded... and then bite it off. You know. When they could have, almost as easily, stabbed them in the torso.

I've been wondering how the hell my adventurer looks at my opponent and thinks "Wait a second- HIS THIRD FINGER ON HIS RIGHT HAND IS UNGUARDED! THIS IS A PERFECT OPPORTUNITY TO KICK IT!" Even ignoring how the hell you manage to kick one finger on a hand, how is there an opportunity to hit one specific finger, and how does he notice it?
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 10:55:21 pm »

I'm also wondering how a person can be fighting two people, biting one and stabbing the other, kicking an enemy that passed out and still bat arrows out of the air even when he's in a tangled up mess with the other people on the ground.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 11:18:16 pm »

I always laugh when my adventurers get an opportunity to bite the back-most tooth in the enemy's mouth or something. You can only assume that kissing the enemy is a diversionary ploy.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 11:58:45 pm »

I'm still waiting for a "bite down" attack when somebody grabs your tooth.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 12:52:18 am »

Not heads, but I always bust the horns and tusks off of trolls.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 07:29:25 am »

You never kill anything...?

Well, I was killing things. Bogeymen to be specific. And I used a random attack on one. I ended up biting it's head off.

Well, as a Cultist and Disciple to Armok, it is my duty to allow my Initiates to better their capabilities against the Heretics; And to only kill when it is either Unavoidable, or in Vengeance for a past dead.
Plus, my current Disciple (Player) has a completely broken Right Lower Leg, and Left Hand, so he uses a Crutch to walk around.
He is also blind.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Gorm

• Bay Watcher
  • not related to Gorm of Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 08:46:01 am »

I once tried myself at biting for a bit and ended up with my upper teeth in an opponent's left foot and my lower teeth in his right lower leg. How is anyone supposed to do that without snake's jaws?

And yeah, random opportunities can be weird sometimes. On the other hand, if it's "slash throat with sword: simple strike, direct hit" I don't really mind them.
As dwarves slowly lose their stats over time it's natural for them to get fatter as they age because there's no activities to train healing rate.
so dwarves that die of old age in DF dont get shriveled and weak, but huge round masses of meat and fat that explode spectacularly upon their final birthday?

bob2alien

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 02:54:57 am »

It's also great how I can bite a dude in the arm and leg at the same time. Must have a friggin huge mouth or somethin :o.

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 04:25:32 am »

Wait, how does this game decide what's an easy strike, and which ones will do more damage.  Cause i always thought it was at random when I 'A'imed.  Also do any stats or skills effect this?  and Chilton, is there a way to play like you? as in using your social skills that seem to be worthless right now in just recruiting a huge army.  I thought this was based on fame, and so you would have to do some killing early on.  But later on I believe you could play as leader of 10 men!

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 05:09:21 am »

Wait, how does this game decide what's an easy strike, and which ones will do more damage.  Cause i always thought it was at random when I 'A'imed.  Also do any stats or skills effect this?  and Chilton, is there a way to play like you? as in using your social skills that seem to be worthless right now in just recruiting a huge army.  I thought this was based on fame, and so you would have to do some killing early on.  But later on I believe you could play as leader of 10 men!
I can lead 12-15 men right from the start, with an additional 1-2 every Service i complete.
Also, its based on a series of strings of information relating to the randomised stance of your character. Agility, Strength, Spacial Sense, Fighter, Patience, Observer, and some other one all affect this to some degree.