Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Masonry skill takes so loooong... any way to shorten by about a third?  (Read 824 times)

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What the title says.
I've noticed that my first mason has not even skilled up once.  He's still proficient 2 years into the game.  And I have no other masons.

Is there a way to shorten the amount of time masonry takes to skill up?
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

BoomClap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masonry skill takes so loooong... any way to shorten by about a third?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 11:26:55 pm »

Make tons of stone blocks.
Build Castle with it.

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 11:55:16 pm »

wow.
that's actually really smart... I should make the things into BLOCKS first. :P
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 12:00:15 am »

Note that you can't use blocks to make furniture and such with, though if your mason hasn't leveled up in 2 years despite constant work, it's probably because you haven't been having him do jobs that give experience. Building constructions, for instance, gives no experience whatsoever.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 12:05:48 am »

Oh, wow.
I should've known that a LONG time ago.
T_T

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 06:28:32 pm »

If you're constructing with stone blocks, I would suggest:
  • Restrict your real mason(s) to a burrow that does not cover the construction zone.
  • Assign each mason their own workshop that no one else can use.
  • Turn on masonry on all your peasant hauler drones.
The drones will do the (no experience) building, the real masons can churn out blocks at 30 experience points per.