Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarfish books.  (Read 2693 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfish books.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 05:06:18 pm »

We need to write a real book following a dwarf fortress. Would that not be awesome? It would climax with HFS and involve our dealings with the other civilizations.

It would be artifact quality.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 06:00:27 pm »

I'd like to see Three Toe do something longer.  I bet he could generate enough interest to make self-publishing a first novel worthwhile.  After that, it would be much easier to be picked up by a larger publisher.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 08:17:42 pm »

We need to write a real book following a dwarf fortress. Would that not be awesome? It would climax with HFS and involve our dealings with the other civilizations.

Yes.. It's cover would be crafted of the finest Oak, and it would menace with spikes of obsidian, and have an image of dwarves in gold, and binding made of only the finest Giant Cave Spider Silk thread...

Lagslayer has claimed a Craftsdwarf's workshop.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 08:58:21 pm »

Yes.. It's cover would be crafted of the finest Oak, and it would menace with spikes of obsidian, and have an image of dwarves in gold, and binding made of only the finest Giant Cave Spider Silk thread...

Lagslayer has claimed a Craftsdwarf's workshop.

And be engraved with images of clowns.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 12:32:59 am »

Also cheese.
On topic: Thud! by Terry Pratchett is one of the books in the Discworld series that was mentioned previously, and it's about dwarves. And there are dwarves dying by the boatload.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 09:27:29 pm »

Not to mention the heritage of Carrot in said discworld books. Mirrors our own Cacame.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 10:55:38 am »

Der Ring des Nibelungen, of course!

It's music, even!

Bah, youth today...
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 05:18:59 pm »

There is exactly one Dwarf Fortress fanfic on fanfiction.net, and it's an average boring "5th-Granite-today-we-struck-alunite" journal. So there is definitely room for improvement.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 06:12:07 pm »

I was thinking if someone were a legit author (maybe Threetoe) they could use DF as a base, not an "x of y: we struck z" but a story detailing the rise and fall of a city of dwarves, with DF like events in it for fun.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 06:41:05 pm »

There are some good naratives in the story section.  Lots of the greatest ones rely a bit too much on in-jokes (how i learned to stop worying and love the zombie troll) or screenshots to illustrate scenes (one dwarf against the world), but there are others that give robust naratives that stand up without props or knowledge of game mechanics (tale of an honerable dwarf?  or what was it called?).

I havent read anything in the story section lately, but there is probably lots of things with potential if you can sort through all the... umm... well-intentioned-aspiring-wirters.

too bad we just missed this:  http://www.nanowrimo.org/

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 10:01:43 pm »

I havent read anything in the story section lately, but there is probably lots of things with potential if you can sort through all the... umm... well-intentioned-aspiring-wirters.

How about this? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=71664.0

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 11:27:24 pm »

I like it so far. Nist Akath could be extensively edited to make an interesting book.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 04:40:13 pm »

The Book of Bunny Suicides

Anyway... I think DF has great potential as a base narrative builder.  This is what attracted me to the game in the first place.  I've been dreaming of taking notes on a fortress and writing a comic around it.  It would also be neat to use DF world gen as a base for table-top roleplay, and maybe make fortresses as adventuring destinations.  Your cast is already written up and fleshed out for you and maps are drawn.  Take screen shots, lay on grid, done.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 04:49:10 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 [2]