Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Could other civilizations follow infrastructure you build?  (Read 1454 times)

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
Could other civilizations follow infrastructure you build?
« on: December 04, 2010, 09:44:24 am »

I recently had the idea to build a bridge, as I was going to build my new town on a nearby island that's coast was close enough to the mainland's that a bridge could be built. I figured that the game would notice that if the bridge was big enough, a caravan could go across it. But this is where things made me think; Does the game take into account anything near you when it sends a caravan or siege? My original idea was that if I were to build a complete bridge that was five tiles wide, a caravan would have ample room to come to the island. But now, I'm not sure if it would work, because I'm not sure if the game would consider trecking through an old "fortress", regardless of if it was built as such or not, an appropriate way to get to me. Logically, I'd use the bridge to get there, but I'm not sure if the game would have civilizations use it.

This also raised many more questions, but the main one right now is, say I do finish the bridge. If I abandoned it, and built on the island like I planned, would caravans and armies actually cross it, or would they be so stupid to not be able to figure out that it's a path to the fortress?
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Could other civilizations follow infrastructure you build?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 10:18:05 am »

Okay, so you want to start a fortress, build a bridge, abandon it, then start a fortress on the island you built the bridge to? You would not get seiges or caravans across it. I'm around 90% sure you would still get caravans from your home civilization though.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 10:25:16 am »

I'm pretty sure someone tried this before and it worked fine.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 10:30:02 am »

It can't work. You can not build constructions on the last tile at the edge.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 10:32:54 am »

You can build bridges and roads.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 10:39:03 am »

Civ accessibility only depends on the local embark map. A civ can travel to every tile of a settlement, so if you adjoin some big embarks that are connected over the sea, you should be able to embark anywhere on the island and still get human/elf/goblin access.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 11:35:17 am »

...I don't understand how that's relative to this.

To MagmaMcFry, thanks, let's hope my bridge works.
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian loses juice.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 12:02:49 pm »

You cannot build a physical bridge to an island unless you have both the island and the mainland on the same embark site. You cannot build a bridge spanning two embarks because of the edge-of-map construction issue. But you don't need a physical bridge. You just need to get a row of adjacent embarks, the caravans can travel over these.

But seeing as you "don't understand how that's relative to this", I suspect you already have an embark with both the mainland and the island. So you can abandon already because both land masses are now connected by your site. You can also build a huge bridge between the mainland and the island, just because it's dwarfier.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 12:31:42 pm »

You cannot build a physical bridge to an island unless you have both the island and the mainland on the same embark site. You cannot build a bridge spanning two embarks because of the edge-of-map construction issue. But you don't need a physical bridge. You just need to get a row of adjacent embarks, the caravans can travel over these.

But seeing as you "don't understand how that's relative to this", I suspect you already have an embark with both the mainland and the island. So you can abandon already because both land masses are now connected by your site. You can also build a huge bridge between the mainland and the island, just because it's dwarfier.
....So you're telling me I just built half a bridge when it wasn't even practical?
That's it, some's gonna die- Well it is dwarfier...
The Russian loses juice.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 01:03:58 pm »

Give us some pictures when you're finished.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 02:27:31 pm »

This is wrong, though, because you CAN build bridges on the edge of maps.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 02:34:44 pm »

You can also construct floors on the very edge of maps. It's only "blocking" buildings that are restricted from being built at the map edge, and even those are only restricted on the surface. And since bridges aren't considered "blocking," you can even get around that single restriction fairly well with drawbridges.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 03:34:21 pm »

Actually, I believe he meant as in trying to connect two different embarks, not building on the edge.

Though that ruins my old Dwarven Wall of China idea XD
The Russian loses juice.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 03:37:39 pm »

You can also construct floors on the very edge of maps. It's only "blocking" buildings that are restricted from being built at the map edge, and even those are only restricted on the surface. And since bridges aren't considered "blocking," you can even get around that single restriction fairly well with drawbridges.

Ahh...  Cool. Well, normally you don't build floors on the edge of the map, so I never thought of this being possible.

I'll have to pave my whole embark with obsidian now.