Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortification Trap  (Read 540 times)

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortification Trap
« on: December 04, 2010, 03:27:17 am »

I just had a weird idea for a new trap design.  When a fortification is submerged in 7/7 water, enemies will path through it.  and as soon as the water goes down below 7/7, they'll be unable to path back.  Does this mean I could make a long tunnel, put fortifications on either end, fill it with water, and then wait for forgotten beasts or clowns to walk into it, then drain it and laugh maniacally?  It seems it would be much easier to shoot ballistas down such a corridor for easy cleaning than repeatedly digging out levels for cave in traps.

Anybody know a good way make it my main entrance and push merchants/goblins/dwarves through the fortifications with water pressure or bridges or something?

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortification Trap
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 03:46:51 am »

but if you got a spitter or any other kind of ranged beast that may backfire in some way :)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 03:53:41 am »

do all enemies path through fortifications or just swimmers?  might make a difference between pathing through them and getting pushed by water flow.  In general a good way to get water to push enemies where you want is to have a pump drawing from a square.  This will suck them to that square as water rushes toward it.

I would think you could set something up where enemies path into your fort through a 3/7 4/7 depth entrance tunnel.  Along the sides are 1x1 alcoves with fortifications.  above those 1x1 holes there are pumps drawing from that square.  You can do something with that water.. say funnel it toward teh entrance so the trap doesn't get dry.  Then put grates over each pumps intake to prevent swimming building destroyers from messing stuff up.

I've never built a trap around running enemies through fortifications, but that would probably do it.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 04:10:07 am »

I know all enemies can cross the fortifications, though whether or not the goblins will drown before getting trapped is more or less irrelevant to me. 

You said I can put grates over the intake square of screw pumps?  Can they still pump with a grate there?  I would swear that prevented them from pumping, and always linked my grates or floor hatches to a lever to remove them before turning on the pumps. 

I'm not sure about the 3-4/7 depth entrance tunnel, that sounds very difficult to maintain, and the fortifications themselves would have to have 7/7 water in order to be crossable.

I do like the idea of pulling people in with pumps though. 

I'm hoping for something I could do without any levers at all, and just 1 dwarf on pumping/guard duty: 
Big long tunnel, kept full of water by pump operator, soon as enemies come within sight, he runs away (and or dies a glorious death), and fortifications near him empty of water, trapping whatever's out there. 

Roflcopter5000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 04:19:26 am »

Assuming you can successfully flush beasts/clowns (aren't some of these guys made of metal? Seems like it would be really hard to flush metal), you could just have a huge cistern above the entrance tunnel. Make a bridge that retracts inward, leaving a large chasm underneath. Flush them into the dead-end cavern, and have pump-stacks along the sides, with the intakes protected with grates. The water should be 7/7 for just long enough to push them through the forts, before it got sucked out by your series of pumps.

But if you're talking about just leaving a flooded tunnel, I'm pretty sure they aren't going to path through it unless they are swimmers. Assuming I am wrong and you do go with that route, a good way to drain it would be to use a very wide retractable bridge. If you put it in between the fortifications, then if they are building destroyers, they will trap themselves if they kill it. I guess that makes it a one shot system, but probably the safest method to ensure rapid drainage. Also, make it a LONG tunnel, so that you ensure you can drain it before they get to the other end.

Addendum: Pumps WILL pump through grates.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 04:26:42 am »

Some of the extra fun nasties vaporize any water that gets near them, within like 3 tiles, you can't flush those but everything else might.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 06:27:35 am »

Some of the extra fun nasties vaporize any water that gets near them, within like 3 tiles, you can't flush those but everything else might.
and yet other beasts are simply liquids or gasses and will pass through fortifications anyways.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"