Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The perfect artifact!  (Read 1008 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The perfect artifact!
« on: December 02, 2010, 01:05:37 am »

My already-legendary weaponsmith got hit by a fey mood.  Immediate first reaction: forbid every metal in the fort but adamantine.  He takes a forge and grabs some wafers.  YES!  He grabs some glass and elephant leather and gets to work.

The spear that comes out of it is called The Unwelcome Desert, and depicts the foundation of the fortress it was created in.  Not a desert, but you know what?  My most famous military dwarf right now, Ablel Helmedbattle the Fresh Wrath of Martyrs (awesome military name btw), has ten kills, three of which are forgotten beasts.  And he uses spears.

I have him dump his old weapon in my specially-designated crafts zone so I can make it fancy with some platinum and gold decorations (hell - it has 2 FB kills on it, the third belonging to Alblel's left foot) and give it to my other master-speardwarf-in-training, hopefully turning it into a named item.  It's a shame you can't put gems onto any weapon but arrows, or else I'd toss some diamonds onto it as well.

I haven't checked yet, but if I can import petrified wood (his favorite material) and he turns out to bring in a lot of kills, I'm going to build a large, multi-z-level shrine for this guy underground with his coffin sitting in the middle of this massive, wide open spire with alcoves in the walls bearing petrified wood slabs with the names of those who he has vanquished carved into them.  Otherwise I'll just use marble slabs.

ITT: Your perfect artifacts, and the awesome that you commit with them.  No lame crap like Planepacked imitators, items made out of modded materials like Bullshittium, or other stuff.  STORIES!  Stuff that clicks into place perfectly, like an artifact table made from phyllite when your baron loves tables and phyllite, or items that become quasi-artifacts and get passed down from soldier to soldier.  Cool stuff!
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The perfect artifact!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 01:37:22 am »

This is a bullshittium warhammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is encircled with bands of bullshittium and menaces with spikes of bullshittium.  On the item is an image of a bull surrounded by dwarves in bullshittium.  The bull is crouching.  The dwarves are holding their hands out.  The image relates to the harnessing of bullshittium by the dwarves of Facemallet in 1051.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 03:39:39 am »

Not at artifact, but my militia commander uses a masterwork adamantine battleaxe with a masterfully rendered image of him ascending to the position of militia commander.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 03:46:27 am »

Wondering aloud here. Does adding decorations during artifact creation increase the item weight?
Platinum warhammer decorated with massive amounts of platinum?

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 03:58:44 am »

My favourite would be Catdiverted, the platinum war hammer. It has menacing spikes of gold and many images of domestic animals dying in various materials. It also has the best name ever.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 04:05:31 am »

My militia commander Goden Kengeshud's first kill was a forgotten beast that had killed two of his comrades. As soon as he had slain the beast, he bestowed the name "Sharemäth Zhunek Shoveth" upon his spear, "Milebands the Sourness of Mystery". He then wielded this as he led the militia against many goblin sieges.

But one day, the goblins were too many and the militia was stretched too thin. Goden found himself holding the front gate alone against hordes of goblins and trolls, and fell, pierced by dozens of crossbow bolts, still cluctching his spear.

In the next migrant wave, a legendary speardwarf arrived, who had obviously heard the tales of the mighty spear. He took up Sharemäth Zhunek Shoveth and joined the militia, and has already slain another forgotten beast with this spear...
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 10:18:00 pm »

My militia commander Goden Kengeshud's first kill was a forgotten beast that had killed two of his comrades. As soon as he had slain the beast, he bestowed the name "Sharemäth Zhunek Shoveth" upon his spear, "Milebands the Sourness of Mystery". He then wielded this as he led the militia against many goblin sieges.

But one day, the goblins were too many and the militia was stretched too thin. Goden found himself holding the front gate alone against hordes of goblins and trolls, and fell, pierced by dozens of crossbow bolts, still cluctching his spear.

In the next migrant wave, a legendary speardwarf arrived, who had obviously heard the tales of the mighty spear. He took up Sharemäth Zhunek Shoveth and joined the militia, and has already slain another forgotten beast with this spear...
That is an awesome story.  I hope you gave that guy a fitting tomb.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Magitrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 12:17:56 am »

Elementaxes the adamantine bucket.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 12:29:35 am »

I got a matching rose gold breastplate and axe with a depiction of the goddess of jewels and yellow diamond banding. Ultimate fashion statement.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.