Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Washroom zone  (Read 1025 times)

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Washroom zone
« on: November 23, 2010, 11:49:54 pm »

We should be able to make zones that dwarves go to clean themselves, so people don't have to build their elaborate shower-mist things in the meeting rooms. When  dwarf has contaminants (other than water) they would go to the cleaning zone until they are no longer contaminated, or after a set amount of time, whichever comes first. There would have to be an interval between cleaning attempts, so that the dwarves don't endlessly try to clean themselves on a failed shower mechanism.

Or we could fix soap.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Washroom zone
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 03:05:28 am »

Actually this would make sense no matter what combined with soap, since you generally need at least a little water, maybe an area with a well or other such things, they would cart buckets there (filled with water) that could be used to clean oneself. Or barring that, a dip in a water zone.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 06:02:32 am »

When a doctor washes a patient, where does the grimy water end up? Would dwarves using buckets to wash themselves solve this issue? It'd need an orders menu item to prevent missing item spam of course.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 11:35:16 am »

id quite like a full on dwaven bath house, with heated baths.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 06:35:46 pm »

It would be nice to have a well that you turn into a "washing room" ..

I'm not exactly too happy with dwarves going to the hospital and using that well to wash their feet.  ::) We have patients in there! Stop tracking grime and shit ...

Good thing I have dedicated nurses/cleaners. :D They clean up in the hospital quite diligently!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 10:58:13 am »

Better demarcate it as a zone, requiring both a bar (soap) and furniture (bucket) stockpile--also requiring a water source. It'd mirror how medical zones are designated, and wouldn't take too much time programming it in. Good idea, however.

AricW/anA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 11:23:19 am »

Was thinking of this earlier. Maybe a monthly or bimonthly (ick!) bath to give a small boost to happiness? More depending on statues and other nice things in the room?

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 01:36:09 pm »

I don't believe it should 'require' soap. I mean there are plenty of other ways to clean, romans used oil and scrapers if I remember, some desert peoples use clean sand, ect
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 10:36:13 am »

As a zone, its effectiveness would be dependent on what materials are available, rather than a binary operation of no soap? no cleaning.  Excess cloth, buckets, water, and a soap-base would increase the effectiveness of the cleaning. Effectiveness, however, should be rated on time it takes to clean oneself wholly--you can get clean if you just wipe grime off yourself, but it takes forever.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 12:56:48 pm »

You can do this currently.

Channel out a trench or room. Fill it with exactly 2/7 or 3/7 water. No more, no less.

Dwarves and other animals will freely path through the water, and the dwarf as well as all items being carried by the dwarf will be washed with water. All of the mess will be dumped onto the ground or in the water so you'll need a dwarf with cleaning enabled to clean it up, but it does work.

You can do a simple trench across a major pathway in your fortress for enforced bathing, such as on the way to the booze stockpile, or make a meeting zone in a large 2/7 or 3/7 pool.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 01:03:49 pm »

I don't believe it should 'require' soap. I mean there are plenty of other ways to clean, romans used oil and scrapers if I remember, some desert peoples use clean sand, ect

Soap is what we have in the game already, though. A washroom should absolutely require soap. There's enough wiggle room in that you aren't absolutely required to get your dwarves clean.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 01:07:44 am »

Soap is what we have in the game already, though. A washroom should absolutely require soap. There's enough wiggle room in that you aren't absolutely required to get your dwarves clean.

I would agree that something like this should require soap & water, but I think it's a good idea.  IMHO you should have to build a chest (where they store soap) and have a non-stagnant water source (e.g. a well), but this would be a lot nicer than having to calculate some crazy waterfall contraption that pumps exact amounts of water into strange places.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 02:06:24 am »

When I read the title I thought of the other reason one might use a washroom, which begs the question of whether or not dwarves have to expel waste from their bodies.  Then again, they give birth in the dining room so maybe they just don't care...

Anyway, I feel like once contaminants really do something (not counting FB bloods, which I don't think is what you are talking about in the first place), this probably isn't hugely necessary, but I could definitely see it in the future.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 03:11:18 am »

I like the idea of a dedicated cleaning zone, though I do the 2/7 3/7 water thing too.   Aside from the stream on my current fortress I have grates around wells so stuff drips and disappears.