Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating a low-population world.  (Read 831 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Creating a low-population world.
« on: December 01, 2010, 02:21:31 pm »

Right now I'm trying to generate a world with very few dwarves, and if possible, have my starting 7 be the last of their kind. I'm not sure how this would effect migrants, but I still like the idea of building the last stronghold of dwarvenkind. I tried making a world with very low civilizations and very high savagery and number of beasts, but that only resulted in 3 super-powerful civilizations splitting the main continent.

Anyone know how to tweak the worldgen settings to get this result?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a low-population world.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 02:27:11 pm »

There was some old stuff, even a succession fortress like this. Do a search for "Age of Emptiness"
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 02:30:23 pm »

Perhaps dupicate humans/goblins/elfes a few dozen times?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 02:41:15 pm »

Well I was messing around some more in worldgen, and ended up creating the world I wanted quite by accident. As in, I had low savagery and a high number of civs, but I still only ended up with two human civs, 2 elf civs, an unknown number of goblins and no dwarves left. I do like the idea of turning it into a succession fortress though.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 02:55:47 pm »

I embarked on a savage frozen wasteland, and nearly had dwarves die of sobriety before I realised that the reason I hadn't had any traders is because the dwarves are extinct. I had to wait years for my first traders, and they were elves!

It certainly makes the game fun.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 04:26:51 pm »

Well there are a few options: One is by making dwarfs reproduce less. This is a raws trick that dirrectly results in less dwarfs. A second methode is by increasing savagary and/or evil. If a square is over 50 urist evil (not certain but I believe also 50 savage) dwarfs will not live there. This means that making it vary between 50 and 100 will keep the population low. (trough if you take a savage area elfes will remain where as a evil area will keep it's goblins).
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 04:32:48 pm »

Alternatively, just lower the max per-civ population in the entity raws. Assuming that still does something after the pop rewrite.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 08:50:07 am »

I think you could also mod the Dwarves to have towns (So they actually appear on the map) in a small world, and then all you have to do is MAIM! KILL! BURN! MAIM! KILL! BURN!
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 10:39:03 am »

You don't need to create towns. Most the dwarves exist in the world when it's created. You need to slaughter all the dwarves by checking site populations, then wait 170 years for all the escaped prisoners to die off. Then you've got it set.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 10:45:58 am »

You don't need to create towns. Most the dwarves exist in the world when it's created. You need to slaughter all the dwarves by checking site populations, then wait 170 years for all the escaped prisoners to die off. Then you've got it set.

You'll never find them if they live in fortresses since they never appear on the map.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 10:48:05 am »

Yea you do. You just need to walk around the fortress site location. They are hard to find, but there.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!