Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sorry, can't seem to figure this out on my own.  (Read 991 times)

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sorry, can't seem to figure this out on my own.
« on: November 30, 2010, 11:01:53 am »

So, I made a fort. Dug some stuff out, killed some groundhogs. Good times.

Oh, wait, we're out of booze. It is probably a good idea to make it, right?

So, off to the wikia. I gather some plants (D and P), and make a plot for them. The dwarf does stuff to the plot, I pick the seeds, then... what? Am I missing something or did I do something wrong? There seems to be no indication anything is happening.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry, can't seem to figure this out on my own.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 11:03:40 am »

Have you built a still and designated a brewer to, well, brew the plants?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 11:06:00 am »

To make booze you first need plants to brew.  You can grow these yourself, or you can gather them from the countryside, or you can buy them from a caravan.

Then you need a still, which is built under the workshops menu.

Then you need some empty barrels to put the booze in.

Then you need to order the still to brew drinks, and you need a dwarf with the right labor enabled to actually go do the brewing at the still.

Assuming that you have a plant which can be brewed, an empty barrel, and a dwarf who can do the brewing - you'll see a barrel of booze produced and hauled away.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:09:33 am »

When you use the gather plants command (d, p) your dwarves gather plants.  To plant a plot you need seeds, not plants, so you need to make those plants into seeds.  To yield seeds the plants need to be brewed at a still, or eaten raw by a dwarf, or processed at a farmer's workshop, depending on what type of plant.  Those actions will yield seeds, which can then be planted in a farm plot to make more plants.  Do not cook the plants, this will destroy the seeds.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 11:54:47 am »

So, off to the wikia. I gather some plants (D and P), and make a plot for them. The dwarf does stuff to the plot, I pick the seeds, then... what? Am I missing something or did I do something wrong? There seems to be no indication anything is happening.
You have to plant the seeds. Q)uerry the plot, and select a season and then select a plant to plant during that season. Then select the next season, and a plant for it, and so on until you have all four seasons scheduled for planting. Then the dwarves with Growing labor enabled will go and plant your seeds.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 01:12:42 pm »

...did I do something wrong?...

Yeah....

Sounds to me like you did not follow a tutorial.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 01:20:49 pm »

Yes follow that tutorial, it may be old but teaches good gameplay; download it's dwarf fotress file that's on the site; it comes with the map you will be using in the tutorial.  and has a pre-set graphics pack.

though when you move up to 31.18 there are LOAD of new stuff, infact i would skip the military tutorial/ and note in the new version you need underground mud; otherwise just farm above ground and build walls around it.

also to build a still, press B then L,  but you will need a carpenter for barrels.  for that press B, then w, then C.

remember the first week of playing this game is nothing but learning; but after the first week an a few fallen fortress you will be having a blast.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 01:34:20 pm »

if you gathered some plants already you can just brew them directly
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

petebull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 04:09:52 pm »

if you gathered some plants already you can just brew them directly

... you have to brew them to gain seeds for the sowing