Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So...Dwarfy embarks  (Read 837 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
So...Dwarfy embarks
« on: November 30, 2010, 01:40:47 am »

Exactly how bad of an idea is it to embark in a sinister location with the fortress defense mod?  ;D  Name the craziest embarks you have done and been successful with.  (mine was a terrifying tundra which had about 12 trees on one corner of it.)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So...Dwarfy embarks
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 01:53:17 am »

I've been trying to survive on a terrifying tundra at the moment. First attempt was ruined when a polar bear tore apart most of the dwarves. Second attempt was ended by a blind cave ogre rampage in addition to blizzard men attacks. Currently trying for a third time. Things were going well, until the migrants came. They attracted a herd of skeletal muskox, leading to many dwarves being lured out of their burrows and into the frozen wastes. There were no survivors among the migrants, and one resident was killed as well.

So less than a year in and it's already resulting in Fun!. I can't really say it's been successful yet. So I suppose my biggest success in a dangerous environment would be surviving for over 20 years in a terrifying wasteland bordering a terrifying ocean. Though to be honest Townbrush really turned into a prolonged descent into failure after the 9 year mark.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 01:56:30 am »

Apparently my massive horde of 23 wardogs and my starting seven cannot kill 3 unconscious ogres.  ugh.  they have been punching them for a month (i let them take a food break)

EDIT:  SUCCESS! They managed to kill one!
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 02:45:52 am »

My three marksdwarves and all 10 wardogs I had beat on an unconscious Blizzard Man for almost a season (with breaks for the dwarves) until I assigned my woodcutter to a new squad and set her on it. She walked over, sighed, and beheaded the thing with one swing (DIY steel axe helped). The head was little more than a ball of scars anyway, according to the info.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 02:49:44 am »

Ogres keep wandering in...6 have been killed so far and 2 more remain.  Ugh.  I really need these to die so I can start my farming plateau. (All the water dried up.  FFFFFUUUU-)

Also, there are 15 dwarves and 70 animals.  xD  I really dont want a siege yet...I need to get traps in place.  (I plan on running fortress defense with no military.  Oh yeah.)

WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF BOOZE!  GAH!  The only problem i have with evil embarks is that my food production gets messed up by monsters that i have trouble killing with my no military or traps.  ugh.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:54:26 am by Xenos »
[DWARFINEERING]

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 03:16:39 am »

Currently on a Sinister temperate forest, on a lower part of a normal mountain. Got one river (not brook) on the same Z level from the top left corner, going to the middle, and out the bot left corner. The second river comes from the bot right, up to the middle, and goes down 2z levels to the main river.

My main enemies? Carp, carp, carp, carp... Werewolf! I was so happy when I saw them all. :D

I'm trying to make my forest interestingly pleasing enough for my friends when I send them the save to explore it in adventurer mode. So the massive tombs and graves that aren't connected to the fortress will contain interesting bits for my friends.

So far I started with my seven, with one being an axedwarf / dodger. Survived one werewolf attack from it getting beaten up by a carp, and then my seven chasing it around the map. Then 3 migrants came... Second werewolf attack, lost 3 of my original seven including my axe dwarf. He's getting the awesome tomb dedicated to the "fallen hero". After that I got a fairly large migration, about 7. A werewolf was right beside their spawn, proceeding to eat 3 of them. After chasing a 4th around for a while, he eventually gave up and just.. left? Now my latest migration in year 2; Wham, 20 dwarves. So now I'm up to 31, + child, 32.

I can't wait to hit the Giant Cave Spider's 10 z levels below the surface ^_^
One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 04:59:49 am »

1 copper nugget, 1 anvil, a breeding pair of kittens and polar bears, 1 wagon (which means 3 wood, 1-2 wagon pulling animals).

No skills except some appraisal on the dwarf who I wanted to be the expedition leader.

Not so bad per se, but I went into a lifeless frozen wasteland with this setup. The area had everything from flux, sand, sedimentary, to an aquifer (non salt-water) - it would've been nastier on a map without these 4 things.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.