Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Long Haul  (Read 1294 times)

Satlan_Leng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Long Haul
« on: November 30, 2010, 01:39:53 am »

So i have a dream. A dream of a age old fortress. A dream of a massive age old fortress. A dream of owning my own clown tent. This dream though always dies to the FPS death. Now up to this point i have been cruel to my PC. Fortress with 200 +dwarves, massive stockpiles full of food and drink. Massive strip mines. Well over 300 captured goblins to use as practice for the real fight into hell. Needless to say this brings my PC fps down into the 20s. A siege brings it into the single digits.

So my question is. What is the good number on EVERYTHING. A good number for the pop max to support a large military and the fortress needed to outfit it into its march to hell. The number of farm squares for each plant to keep a never ending supply but not flood myself before i can dump it all. Any other tips on how to get a fortress that will make others weep in its age but not me weep in its slowness.

As a note its not my PC. 3.8 i7 and 8 gigs of tri channel ram. Multicore support would go a long way to making this game more fun.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Haul
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 02:10:01 am »

Spiral stair cases, designate traffic areas, efficient use of space(IE: no 400 square long hallways), and a 2x2 embark. I've got a 200 dwarf fort running right now, it's been going for 12 years now, with no issues with FPS.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 02:41:36 am »

Do staircase affect FPS?  ???
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 02:58:08 am »

It's been agreed that staircases create more pathing options, and thusly increase calculations and drop FPS. Ramps are suggested, though they take up more space.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 02:59:47 am »

It's been agreed that staircases create more pathing options, and thusly increase calculations and drop FPS. Ramps are suggested, though they take up more space.
Well, stairs can be more efficient but it depends on how you set up the staircase/rampway. 
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 03:15:16 am »

How does a stairway create more pathing options over a ramp?

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 03:20:42 am »

Well, a stair can be entered from up to 8 directions, go either up or down and left from, again, up to 8 directions.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 05:54:25 am »

I've had FPS problems with spiral ramps when many dwarves use them at once.  They bump into each other all the time because they only choose the inside path, and then have to recalculate and dodge around each other when going up and down.  There is a trick you can do with constructed ramps that makes them one-way only, but that only allows upward movement.  I guess you could make a staircase too for downward movement and restrict it so dwarves going up don't use it, but it's untested.

An in-game way of making paths one-way would help with the pathfinding problems when dwarves have to pass each other.  It's probably not going to happen though.

I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.