Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Barrel woes and a failed atomsmasher  (Read 2107 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Barrel woes and a failed atomsmasher
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 06:33:11 am »

I've hadatom-smasher woes myself. I built a 3x3 bridge, dumped everything to be destroyed in the middle square, then dropped the bridge. I got stone EVERYWHERE.

I normally don't use atomsmashers, but .18 is much less CPU friendly, so I've had to dump, smash and otherwise get rid of everything unnecessary.

On that note, how do I get owned items dumped?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 09:25:11 am »

I've hadatom-smasher woes myself. I built a 3x3 bridge, dumped everything to be destroyed in the middle square, then dropped the bridge. I got stone EVERYWHERE.
You probably built a retracting bridge.  Only raising drawbridges smash stuff.  Build a raising drawbridge instead.  Also, make sure you raise the bridge before dumping stuff on it.

On that note, how do I get owned items dumped?
Kill the owner.  You can't dump owned items, but killing the owner makes the items unowned.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 09:29:22 am »

1. Already did that I made super-sure that my drawbridge raised to the left and it was, indeed, raised when I dumped things on the space.

2. Not an option, since it's the result of my dwarves dumping their clothing for military gear. I'm not slaughtering my military to get at their cloth, so I can dump it into magma.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 09:38:10 am »

YOu wimp.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 09:43:36 am »

If you stick cabinets and coffers/chests in dwarves rooms and in the barracks (remember to set I and Q for the squad at the barracks) then they oughta stash their posessions away somewhere.

Also the failed atomsmasher spraying stuff everywhere really does sound like a retract or a raise.  bridges work wonderfully as catapaults when used in that fashion.  I once had a dwarf starve to death because a bridge flung him across a river I hadnt bridged and I never noticed
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 09:50:24 am »

You wimp.

I know. I'm pathetic. I think I try not to let all of my dwarves die at the hands of iron-wielding goblins because I had a difficult childhood. My mum used to beat me1 and my father was never around2.

I.. I think I need to let go of all of that. Learn to stop living in the past and armouring my dwarves.

1 whenever we compared Civ 2 highscores. I have no idea how she does it, I can't even beat Chieftain
2 except for the 12-15 hours a day when he was

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 02:04:34 pm »

If you stick cabinets and coffers/chests in dwarves rooms and in the barracks (remember to set I and Q for the squad at the barracks) then they oughta stash their posessions away somewhere.

Note that this is not foolproof, as it depends on the dwarf's personality. Untidy or disorganized dwarves don't tend to store their clothing. Also, since cabinets and chests have limited room, a dwarf even tends to run out of space even if they try to store their clothing. Once storage is full, they'll store things on the floor of their owned rooms. After all floorspace is taken they'll just leave worn-out clothing wherever it gets dropped.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 04:11:08 pm »

You wimp.

I know. I'm pathetic. I think I try not to let all of my dwarves die at the hands of iron-wielding goblins because I had a difficult childhood. My mum used to beat me1 and my father was never around2.

I.. I think I need to let go of all of that. Learn to stop living in the past and armouring my dwarves.

1 whenever we compared Civ 2 highscores. I have no idea how she does it, I can't even beat Chieftain
2 except for the 12-15 hours a day when he was
Win.  Too bad I'm out of signature space. :/
But, I rely on traps.  Whether they are a simple labyrinth of cage traps (how else will my kobolds fend off the vicious elves?) or more elaborate traps (Like the 14 ways to die.  There is a search bar, use it.  Because I am too lazy to go find the link for you.)  Basically, steel=a pain to produce.  Mechanisms+cages/serrated discs/bridges/magmafalls/death drops/execution towers/orbital magma cannons/any combination of these things=easier to produce for me.  And all steel gets used for serrated discs.  Which get used to buy out every caravan that passes through.  And buy out means buy out.  They leave with only the discs I sell them.  All the junk they brought that I dont want gets dumped into the volcano (the elven merchants arrival is known as "The Great Spring Marathon" to my dwarves.  Every dwarf is busy hauling the wooden armor and weapons to the garbage chute.)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 04:16:06 pm »

Nice. I use obsidian mechanisms, since their weight to value ratio is good, and they're still useful if I decide not to sell them.
Pages: 1 [2]