Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Walling off Caverns and lava areas and guilt  (Read 701 times)

Rattyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rattyboy.wordpress.com
Walling off Caverns and lava areas and guilt
« on: November 29, 2010, 04:20:40 pm »

I feel guilty for walling these things off because my fortress does really well afterwards.  And there are always a few megabeasts that spawn from them but who don't get out until I have the military ready.

Anyone else have similar feelings of guilt. I am embarking on a terrifying mountainous area now and well, I am not going to wall off anything.  I will suffer the consequences.  Fun ahead!!!

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Walling off Caverns and lava areas and guilt
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 04:23:19 pm »

I don't wall stuff off, most I'd do is a gate that I could open/close...many gates. That way I can trap them at certain points, forgotten beasts and titans, and lead them to the room I want them to be in.

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 05:02:07 pm »

Aside from the occasional gimmick fort I'm kinda like Wiro. I just have like a lockdown system so I can get hostiles in position for my marksdwarfs to rain death. At least, when some big nasty isn't interrupting the construction process anyway.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 05:05:18 pm »

Oh my god! Yes, it really warrants the whole thing, not just OMG. You sig'd me. I am soo proud!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 05:09:12 pm »

I usually put in a door and make them pet impassible
anything that can knock down or open the door, I would be willing to fight anyway
anything that will be stopped by it is just a petty annoyance
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 05:10:33 pm »

Guilt? I like my dorfs. I prefer making them wait in an airlock of death with some sort of destruction mechanism for the inside space.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.