Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Obsidian, but no magma?  (Read 661 times)

johnnychimp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Obsidian, but no magma?
« on: November 28, 2010, 06:30:57 pm »

So at embark I noticed a large cache of obsidian to the north, I'm trying to figure out where the magma connected to it is, but I've been looking up and down left and right but still can't find any magma. So can obsidian exist without magma nearby? Or how far away can it exist from the magma?

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian, but no magma?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 06:39:00 pm »

Obsidian can form a stone layer.  You probably embarked on multiple biomes, and the obsidian marks the biome boundary.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 07:21:29 pm »

Obsidian is an igneous extrusive stone. Igneous extrusive stone forms in areas of highest volcanism. High volcanism biomes are certainly more likely to have a magma tube, but I don't think it is a certainty. However, if you dig deep enough on any map, you will eventually hit magma in .31.x.

johnnychimp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 07:32:30 pm »

Obsidian is an igneous extrusive stone. Igneous extrusive stone forms in areas of highest volcanism. High volcanism biomes are certainly more likely to have a magma tube, but I don't think it is a certainty. However, if you dig deep enough on any map, you will eventually hit magma in .31.x.

Y'know I heard that, but I've had maps where I get down to Z level 0 and start getting into the negatives without ANY magma, am I just unlucky?

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 07:48:31 pm »

Y'know I heard that, but I've had maps where I get down to Z level 0 and start getting into the negatives without ANY magma, am I just unlucky?

The magma can be very far down, as in, below all 3 cavern layers (assuming you used 3 in world gen) and this can be a long way.
Just a tip, create a world with only one carvern layer, magma should be much closer to the surface.

As for reaching z level - 0, correct me if I'm wrong but isnt that just ground level? With all z levels below that  being -'n'
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 08:22:42 pm »

magma sea is usually between z= -70 to z=-90.

johnnychimp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 08:40:02 pm »

Oh wow I didn't even realize that it went that far down, my mistake thanks.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 08:45:36 pm »

Nonsense - I've had several forts where the magma sea was above Z=100 (with ground level at around Z=140). The magma sea is only really far down when you get really unlucky and get a cavern layer than spans dozens of Z-levels.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.