Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: reactor tower suggestions  (Read 554 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
reactor tower suggestions
« on: November 27, 2010, 02:25:24 pm »

The tower I have serves my needs pretty well within the constraints I had to build it through, but I suspect it could be done better in the future. I started with the mini-reactor design, with a wheel alternating each side of the pump per level:

Code: [Select]
|||||          |||||
|++||          |W#||
|+PW|          |WP+|
|+PW|          |WP+|
||#W|          ||++|
|||||          |||||
| = wall                      + = floor                       # = uptake grating
P = pump                    W = wheel

It generates about 40 surplus power per level, fluctuating +/- 20%; not very efficient power per wheel, probably due to the empty space required for the next wheel up. How could this be done better in as tight a space possible?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: reactor tower suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 02:33:18 pm »

If you're willing to widen it by 1 in any direction, you could fit 2 water wheels in on each level, either opposite or perpendicular to each other. That increases the space by 1/5th or 1/6th (depending on which way you expand it) but doubles the power output. Your current setup is as inefficient as it can be.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 03:46:12 pm »

To put two water wheels per level, I'd have to have open floors on every z-level. Would that be more efficient than having at least half a floor holding water in each level? Or does that even make a difference?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 04:12:10 pm »

Well, my study of water wheels is not very advanced, but I believe that as long as the water moves, you'll get power. Having the water move vertically rather than horizontally, as would occur with two waterwheels per level, should work just fine. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.