Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold Civilization  (Read 1021 times)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kobold Civilization
« on: November 30, 2010, 06:25:11 pm »

Kobold Civilizations: What do they require to thrive, and to persist for 1050 years?

I really want some kobold traders, but they never survive past the first 50 years...and in 50 years, there's just not enough time for civilizations to acquire cool trading goods.

Wat do? I want the bolds.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Civilization
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 06:37:09 pm »

In Vanilla though they are incapable of trading.  While they may form civilizations, they cannot trade.  The only ones who send out caravans are Elves, Dwarves, Humans and Goblins- the others would have to have their raws edited in order to allow it (it's a simple process, I believe).

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 06:41:10 pm »

NOOOOOEZ.

But they *are* a civlisation...sniff...
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 06:44:55 pm »

You should go grab the Kobold mod then.
Although that only makes them a playable civilization, and they only trade among themselves. Everyone else wants 'em dead. Would require some ethic-changing and removing of item thievery from their entity-file to make other races show up to trade with 'em.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 06:49:42 pm »

Alright, I'm giving up on my dream of pan-cavedweller trade relations.

I was basically just pissed because my latest beautiful world gen was perfect *except* for the dead k-bold civ  >:(

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 07:58:07 pm »

Kutebolds should trade, but not actually understand how it works. The will bring you rocks and metal for free, and then steal whatever you make with them.
Thank you based dwarf.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 08:57:43 pm »

In Vanilla though they are incapable of trading.  While they may form civilizations, they cannot trade.  The only ones who send out caravans are Elves, Dwarves, Humans and Goblins- the others would have to have their raws edited in order to allow it (it's a simple process, I believe).

What?

HOW?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 10:19:09 pm »

What?

HOW?

AFAIK, it happens very rarely, given quirky worldgen settings and a very early stop. They bring lots of meat and leather. I am mildly surprised to see that this information is not reflected on the wiki.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 10:29:14 pm »

I mean, I read about it for .40d, but since it wasn't in the 2010 article I thought Toady removed it due to bugs.

But... THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

Now I get to strike the first blow at the goblins! HAHAHAHA!
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 04:02:10 am »

Goblins don't trade with people that don't like, HOWEVER they don't just straight out hate everybody. There is nothing in the raws to generate instant hostility. Rather it works by rolling relation status when two civilizations meet based on there ethics, SO if you end world gen VERY early then you might get in before the closest goblin civ decides it doesn't like your dwarf civ. Even though they usually just decide they hate you from the first time they see you, not always.

This does beg an interesting question though. Weren't civs meant to continue development during game play now? So therefor you could be trading with a goblin civ for a year or two before hostility starts.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 05:01:11 am »

Goblin trading was 40d. Goblins don't even trade among themselves in this version if you don't mod them to have some kind of pack-animal.
Same for Kobolds.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 05:08:52 am »

I recall that hostile civ's trade with other hostile civ's who go along the same route of evil behavior that they do.
Like goblins will trade with other hostile civ's who kidnap babies and/or steal items. Also I think the goblin trading was what happened when war broke out between dwarves and goblins early on, and the dwarves managed to win and take over the goblin civ. Can't see why it couldn't happen now too, unless it was taken out, although they just need a pack-animal mention in order to trade with others.

Also to the hostility thing two posts above: All it takes is one BABYSNATCHER or ITEMTHIEF tag on the entity files to turn the race which has that into hostile. They won't like other races, and the other races won't like them either.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 03:58:56 pm »

Goblin trading was 40d. Goblins don't even trade among themselves in this version if you don't mod them to have some kind of pack-animal.
Same for Kobolds.
Ah, darn.  I could have sworn they still traded, but I haven't personally experienced it.  I just know in the Catmod (which doesn't mod Goblins in anyways) the Goblins try to trade with you because of your aligned ethics.  The Catmod is, however, a 40d entity.