Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Utility Request: "DwarfCommander" (CONCEPT ONLY)  (Read 1279 times)

Jon-Ace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Utility Request: "DwarfCommander" (CONCEPT ONLY)
« on: October 25, 2010, 02:44:43 pm »

If anybody thinks they have the ability to do something similar to what is outlined below, feel free to take a crack at it. I can't code, but if I could I would try to do this.

DwarfCommander

The goal of this utility would be to make the managing of your dwarven army easier.

Possible features

• Savable uniform templates, cross-fortress. (similar to DwarfTherapist's profession templates)
  • Sortable dwarfs (non-military vs. military, squadless vs. "in a squad", skillful vs. dabbling...)
  • "Armory screen" (a glorified stock screen of all the weapons and armor in the fortress)
  • Click-and-drag OR button clicking recruiting (the latter being a mirror image of DwarfTherapist's "Labors" tab, no more scrolling through 90+ dwarfs only to find out they were already in a squad!)
  • Alert templates
  • Schedule templates (probably better for when schedule are not as buggy as they are now)

If such a utility already exists, then link to it.  :)

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Utility Request: "DwarfCommander" (CONCEPT ONLY)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 12:06:55 am »

I don't think it exists yet....
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 01:01:29 am »

... but it should. I'm not a programmer, so I can't say whether it's possible or not though.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 03:43:41 am »

Awesome idea, I'd definitely use this. I hate hate hate having to re-do my uniforms every game.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 08:15:22 pm »

Need to get someone on this project, I don't know how to read/write the games memory to create something for this.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 08:54:49 pm »

And
Create a party profile with stats, skills and names and gear and graft it into the game during embark

The King of Eggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 08:05:00 am »

BUMP, Because I would like to see this.

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 04:54:14 pm »

It's no help whatsoever for recruiting military dwarves or managing stock, but you can save templates using the built in macro system.  Hit CTRL-R to begin recording.  Set up your uniform templates.  CTRL-R to stop recording.  CTRL-S and enter a name to save the macro.  Next game, CTRL-L to load the macro, then CTRL-P to replay the steps you took to set up the template.  If you do this for setting up alerts and schedules, you'll need to standardize any associated warrens, too.  It's not perfect, but it helps.  DF still desperately needs a better interface for selecting dwarves into squads, though.