Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I reserve soap strictly for hospital use?  (Read 1854 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
How do I reserve soap strictly for hospital use?
« on: November 24, 2010, 05:58:17 pm »

?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: How do I reserve soap strictly for hospital use?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 05:59:43 pm »

Build a lot of coffers and hope the dwarves put some soap in them instead of 9812437142307984231+ thread?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 06:00:20 pm »

Soap that is inside a container inside a hospital zone is reserved for use in the hospital.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 06:10:45 pm »

SO if i were to say... ban soap from all other stockpiles, it will all go into the hospital?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 06:20:20 pm »

You can adjust the maximum amount of each material type to be put in a hospital. Create a hospital zone with a bunch of coffers and have it accept only soap but nothing else. It will be filled with soap.

You can then create additional nearby hospital zones, also with coffers, that accept only cloth if you want to keep cloth nearby.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 09:18:26 pm »

Or adamantine, if you want realy pimping war veterans.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 01:07:13 am »

You can adjust the maximum amount of each material type to be put in a hospital.
Oh, really? Just like that, 'adjust the maximum amount'?

My dwarves scoff at those maximums. Thread for the thread god!

nomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 08:18:31 pm »

Thread for the thread god!

Uhh...clotch for the cloth throne?

does adamntine thread for suturing actually do anything except making the dwarves really valuable?

it would be awesome if you could 'manufacture' some kind of invulnerable dwarven adamantine skinned superwarrior
RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 11:04:08 pm »

The problem with ignoring the maximums is that they would fill up your coffers with all the wrong crap just because it was more abundant. Pretty soon you'd have like 30 boxes in the hospital just trying to get them to move some soap in while they keep filling them with thread.

So it's more a way to control the ratio of what they reserve for the hospital. Takes a little knowing the numbers to work out how many boxes to involve though.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 12:47:33 am »

The problem with ignoring the maximums is that they would fill up your coffers with all the wrong crap just because it was more abundant.

That's precisely the problem.  The dorfs often do ignore the posted maxima.  I currently have 80000/60000 cloth, 6/2 buckets, and 0/1200 soap.  Thanks, guys.  Good work.  Keep up the soap spam; at least I know you're trying to get clean.

I'm intrigued by the suggestion to set up separate hospital zones for storing different materials.  Are they then used properly from the main hospital zone where the actual work is done?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 01:03:26 am »

The hospital everyone prefers has 119865/60000 thread, and that inventory climbed even after I brought the maximum down. I even pried up the boxes, banned the dyed silk thread so they wouldn't snatch it back up, reinstalled those boxes, and even though there's a stockpile filled with all kind of rope reed cloth and thread right in that hospital zone, they packed it with whatthefuckever. Meanwhile the same zone only has 3/10 buckets, 9/20 splints, 5/20 crutches. That that they now have 2148/2100 soap is pretty much a miracle.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 03:05:14 am »

The problem with ignoring the maximums is that they would fill up your coffers with all the wrong crap just because it was more abundant.

That's precisely the problem.  The dorfs often do ignore the posted maxima.  I currently have 80000/60000 cloth, 6/2 buckets, and 0/1200 soap.  Thanks, guys.  Good work.  Keep up the soap spam; at least I know you're trying to get clean.

I'm intrigued by the suggestion to set up separate hospital zones for storing different materials.  Are they then used properly from the main hospital zone where the actual work is done?
Once you've got some soap in your hospital forbid all soap bars from the stocks screen, then do d-b-c over your hospital to claim all the soap that is in your hospital.  Dwarves trying to clean themselves won't try to use the soap in the hospital chests.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 11:51:17 am »

It's not really that they ignore the maximum. This is obvious because they don't store all your cloth and thread, just lots and lots of it.

I think what happens if that, if the hospital needs cloth (or thread, or any material it stores that does not meet or exceed its requested amount), it generates multiple storage jobs. But those aren't all cleared once the hospital has stored enough, so the extras above and beyond what it needs are stored too. I think this is further complicated by partially-used cloth, or cloth temporarily taken out of storage, not meeting the hospital's requested storage amount. So if you have 29950/30000 cloth, a new fresh cloth will end up getting stored. If you have 30000/30000 but a dwarf has taken one out to be used, it's brought down to 20000/30000 and a new storage job gets made.

I'm not 100% sure on that last one; I'm more confident about the first two.

You can even manage this issue slightly by dumping materials above and beyond what the hospital is set to store. Once the extras are removed down to the proper cap, it won't store more. However, this is a very temporary measure since it only works until something brings it below the cap again (see above), in which case it may get overstocked once more.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 02:02:42 pm by Niveras »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 01:25:50 pm »

Have multiple hospital zones nearby, each one that accepts a different type of item. Even if the hospital has no beds its fine, dwarves will still store things there.

So you have the main hospital floor with all of the beds. Then have little rooms off to the sides filled with chests. Each room is its own different hospital zone. One accepts soap and nothing else, one accepts cloth and nothing else, one accepts thread and nothing else, etc.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 01:34:37 pm »

good advice in here.  generally forbid soap in all bar piles, forbid anything sitting unhauled in the soap makers shop, forbid any that your idiot dwarves move about (they will) and anything that a doctor leaves on a bed after washing a patient.

Once you got some soap designated containers in hospital zones you can do a mass unforbid

Every time you get a 'cancel clean' message 'z'oom to the spot and forbid that bar, it destroys your efficiency as they dont cancel till they reach the bar
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.