Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disease  (Read 1153 times)

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disease
« on: November 25, 2010, 08:51:59 pm »

Number one, I know this has been suggested before, I want to add something to the ideas.

If diseases are added, how about they are generated like Forgotten Beasts and Titans? Basicly, they are custom and different 90% of the time. An example is:
A disease called ___________ has spread into your fortress.
It is apparantly spreading fast. It is [or not, the game chooses] deadly,
[The next peices are only seen if you have your Chief Medical Dwarf noble]
It is very contagious, and once I dwarf catches this disease, they turn pale, and start to cough blood, eventually this worsens, then the dwarf goes insane, suffers, and dies a terrible death. [this is the custom part]

Get what I'm saying? How good does this sound?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 11:44:19 pm by Carcanken »

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
Re: Desieses.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 09:16:31 pm »

Contaminants are already annoying enough. I don't know how I'd feel about the same thing, only you have literally no control over its spread.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 09:19:59 pm »

So, essentially, what you're saying is that you know it has already suggested, but you want to do the same thing to get credit?

Congratulations, Sir, you have learned:

Politician Skill: Bask in the Glory
Take credit for someone else's idea.

Anyways, ignoring your blatant disregard for spelling, what you're saying is that diseases should be randomly generated, like titans and forgotten beasts. It's a sound idea, and would be nice to have moddable raws that you could put different diseases in, such as this poorly written example.
[DISEASE:COBBLERS_MOUTH]
[C:MIASMA=1]
[E:EXCRETE_BLOOD MOUTH]
[E:ROT MOUTH]
Cobblers Mouth is caused when a Dwarf is near Miasma. It causes his mouth to rot, and for blood to pour from his mouth.
It would be nice if you could specify the disease, which races it affects(Here we come, Elven Madagascar!) and the symptoms it exhibits before it comes serious.

Another idea would be for randomly generated names for these diseases, like "Shrivelroot" (Guess what that does!) or "Goblinbeak".

Finally, it would be really nice if you could import or make antidotes from plants nearby, that would cure it if the dwarves realize the symptoms. You would need a high skill herbalist, and you could make it in the Alchemists Shop or Farmer's Workshop.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 09:27:00 pm »

Spelling a title right is usually a good way to get your suggestion some credit.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Glech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 09:31:59 pm »

I don't think that will make the game more entertaining, but I'm sure it'll make it more fun!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 10:57:57 pm »

Diseases crossing over from beasts would make little practical sense. Sure, some do like rabies but it'd get irritating as all hell to the point of unplayability if forgotten beasts started infecting you with an invisible "contaminant" you have no way of fighting. Any such plagues should be debilitating but treatable and honestly, would be more likely to spread through contact with sentients, not just megabeasts. If such were added, measures of combating them would need to exist. The current AI doesn't even have the sense to not step into the puddle of death blood, let alone avoid the merchants with the black boils in his face.

That's not to say we shouldn't have moddable zombie apocalypses, rabies etc but you gotta admit, it'd be frustrating to deal with one-hit kills that spread uncontrollably and invisibly. And considering it's a game, it'd be likely such diseases would be unrealistically common. Something as simple as generated flu epidemics starts becoming ludicrously deadly if it never fades due to poor design or bad luck with the RNG not granting immunity after healing.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 11:27:18 pm »

Would give a new use for hospitals to say the least.. Diseases are a common factor in real life.

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 11:42:23 pm »

Diseases crossing over from beasts would make little practical sense. Sure, some do like rabies but it'd get irritating as all hell to the point of unplayability if forgotten beasts started infecting you with an invisible "contaminant" you have no way of fighting. Any such plagues should be debilitating but treatable and honestly, would be more likely to spread through contact with sentients, not just megabeasts. If such were added, measures of combating them would need to exist. The current AI doesn't even have the sense to not step into the puddle of death blood, let alone avoid the merchants with the black boils in his face.

That's not to say we shouldn't have moddable zombie apocalypses, rabies etc but you gotta admit, it'd be frustrating to deal with one-hit kills that spread uncontrollably and invisibly. And considering it's a game, it'd be likely such diseases would be unrealistically common. Something as simple as generated flu epidemics starts becoming ludicrously deadly if it never fades due to poor design or bad luck with the RNG not granting immunity after healing.
I dont believe you get the idea. You know how megabeasts are randomly generated? It generates the sickness like that.
-----------------
Okay, and to you saying this was an idea before, im sorry, I searched, and didn't find a thread, suggesting that sicknesses are generated like forgotten beasts. Forgive me.
Also, please forgive the spelling, had a stressful day as today was Thanksgiving for me.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 11:45:12 pm by Carcanken »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Disease
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 03:42:56 pm »

howz about diseases weaken dwarves and don't kill them?

immunity can come up
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 08:33:00 pm »

So, essentially, what you're saying is that you know it has already suggested, but you want to do the same thing to get credit?

Congratulations, Sir, you have learned:

Politician Skill: Bask in the Glory
Take credit for someone else's idea.

Anyways, ignoring your blatant disregard for spelling, what you're saying is that diseases should be randomly generated, like titans and forgotten beasts. It's a sound idea, and would be nice to have moddable raws that you could put different diseases in, such as this poorly written example.
[DISEASE:COBBLERS_MOUTH]
[C:MIASMA=1]
[E:EXCRETE_BLOOD MOUTH]
[E:ROT MOUTH]
Cobblers Mouth is caused when a Dwarf is near Miasma. It causes his mouth to rot, and for blood to pour from his mouth.
It would be nice if you could specify the disease, which races it affects(Here we come, Elven Madagascar!) and the symptoms it exhibits before it comes serious.

Another idea would be for randomly generated names for these diseases, like "Shrivelroot" (Guess what that does!) or "Goblinbeak".

Finally, it would be really nice if you could import or make antidotes from plants nearby, that would cure it if the dwarves realize the symptoms. You would need a high skill herbalist, and you could make it in the Alchemists Shop or Farmer's Workshop.

Golden Salve could be used as a miracle medicine then, considering how rare it can be.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 10:09:04 pm »

Let's leave out the magic potions you can buy by the barrel.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 03:53:46 pm »

Do I like the idea of randomly generated diseases? yes.
Do I like the idea of not being able to control their spread? no.
Do I like the idea of the weaker half of my population snuffing it because one of them was too close to a rotting kobold? HELL no!

If diseases are added they should NOT be deadly. A disease that targets a specific part of the body and causes strong discomfort I like, like a gut-targeting thing that causes the dwarves to vomit and feel bad for a while before disappearing on its own.. with a small chance of causing permanent damage to those with weak immune systems.. this adds a nice green flavor to the fortress without dooming it alltogether.
 Especially since we have retching now. This way the dwarves won't be sick all over the place in unreasonable amounts.

Diseases should and probably will be added, but to give the random number generator a chance to say "i just killed your 20 year fortress and there is nothing you can do about it" is going to make A LOT of people angry without adding anything at all.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Sfon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 07:03:58 pm »

I am fine with:
-Miasma causing/spreading disease.
-Not having much control over diseases.
-Common mild diseases (common cold), perhaps randomized with effects limited to less serious ones. And only infecting a few dwarfs at once, half my fort infected is a no-no.
-Very rare outbreaks of serious, and perhaps randomized, plagues that never have more than a 80% chance of infecting. That 80% is an absolute maximum, not an average. "Very rare" meaning averaging once every 100 years or so. Also any survivors must get permanent, or at least very long (100+ years), immunity.