Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wildlife Diversity? aka where did those damn hippos go :/  (Read 745 times)

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wildlife Diversity? aka where did those damn hippos go :/
« on: November 25, 2010, 03:08:52 pm »

could there be a hidden parameter for certain biome wildlife occurence or such or is it just kinda light broken

by example .. i usually play in tropical river biomes  cause i once want to catch hippos ... the catch is even in the most longliving forts of 10+ years ...
i always have hippos at the start .. i even can entrap their area despite my dwarfs having fear but after about 6 months they wander of .. instead ...
ELEFANTS... nothing against elefants they are big heavy fighters and give a good meat  + they tend to breed like cats after you got 10 in your fort ...

but nothing else is coming then ... ok occassional a leopard cougar or tiger roams the area .. even gets caught but this is rather seldom .. never hippos again ... ever

do i have to build something specific or sacrifice something or kill off the other river animals(mostly carps or tigerfishes) to get them spawning?

and to the elefants .. its like they are breeding faster than i can catch them .. my record was in my last game with about 20 of em in my first half year .. (if you count 1 month to get traps rdy to those 6 months)

someone able to enlighten me?

short again... what to do to summon hippos back after their initial spawn .. and why only elefants /or sometimes warthogs, ... i thought tropical jungles are supposed to be a meltingpot of wildlife

thank you^^

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Wildlife Diversity? aka where did those damn hippos go :/
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 03:25:09 pm »

yes you are on the right track, the amount of wildlife on each embark is limited... very limited. In the case of both hippo and elephants, the counter is at about 15-30. After you have gotten them all, none will ever come. This apply to all other species too. So try and catch/kill all those leopards/carps etc if you haven't reached this limit. That'll force the hippos to roam your map again.

Also, there's a limit of at most 1-2 groups of animal active at a time. So if there are many species available to show up the chance of a particular type to show up is tad low.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 03:42:45 pm »

mmh so i would need to find that limit counter in the raws

Skwerl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 04:21:03 pm »

Constantly my attempts at Bear Cavalry are thwarted by Grizzly Bears never showing up ever. I really wish there was more wildlife on the maps and that when your population is small they are a lot more aggressive. Seeing dwarves as prey rather than as predators, it'd be more Fun.

MacMahoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 06:47:51 pm »

do the caverns have any effect on this? could I keep groups of elephants spawning on my map by not breaching the caverns?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 10:48:36 pm »

I think sticking [FREQUENCY:10] on them will make them show up more frequently. I might actually have something to do with the other tags like roaming or such but it's harder to make that connection.

Also it's not that you've got to kill/catch everything else to get them to show up- not exactly. If you have a large predator on your map no other large predators should show up.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.