Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Variation of 7 hermit challenge  (Read 1617 times)

Falc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Variation of 7 hermit challenge
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 01:09:27 pm »

How about going for a trickle-down type fort?

First wave builds a fort using only the first 2-3 z-levels.

Second wave arrives, gets assigned the next few levels. You could have the first wave dump a very basic starting kit through a hole in their floor to the guys below.

Next wave goes under that one, etc.

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 01:21:04 pm »

Who's for a hydraulic chute-based delivery trading system?
Does water push items?

It depends on the force of the water.  Pushing along a roast would take water being forced into a small corridor, while rocks don't move without z-levels of flow.
So with a large reservoir you could make my hypothetical hydraulic mail system?

Ravac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 01:35:47 pm »

Make the initial seven pure industrial types. Enough booze & food to last until the caravans, an anvil, and spend the rest on copper bars. Then embark, dig in a bit, and start making tools for the migrants. In time, the migrants' jobs are to keep the industrial center supplied, fed, hydrated, and defended.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 05:09:45 pm »

I've gotten to the first migrant wave, and as expected they showed up with no axes or picks. I don't have a metal industry up yet, so it comes down to whether I allow them to mooch till I can craft them some tools or let them sit around and starve till I craft them some tools.

Axes are easy to create. Have your original 7 making training axes. They chop down trees as good as any metal axe.

Picks will require metal or depot trading (for the picks themselves, and/or metal bars and/or metal ores).
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 05:45:50 pm »

As it has been mentioned, burrows could be perfect for this, but when new migrants arive it would be a bit of a problem to get them settled if you have burrowless "Merchants" bustling around as well.

As for sieges path finding, I have no clue how it works, but if they spawn at different parts of the map they might change targets.

It would be cool seeing things "Evolve" as you elect a mayor, the baron arives, or one fort or tower is over run.

You could make each fort a mixture of underground and above ground, linked above surface.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*
Pages: 1 [2]