Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal breeds - would this be possible?  (Read 758 times)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal breeds - would this be possible?
« on: November 24, 2010, 08:03:15 pm »

I was wondering about dogs. They come in several different breeds, suited for different things, hounds for hunting, terriers for pest control, that sort of thing.

So, would it be possible to add multiple breeds into things, and move the tags around to alter things? And how would it work?
If you take the [trainable] tag out of the main body, and created a couple of new castes, putting the [trainable] tags into the castes, would that work?

So for a dog, with hounds trainable for hunting and terriers trainable for war, would you have something like:
[creature:dog]
(stuff)
[caste:hounddog]
[male][trainable_hunting]

[caste:houndbitch]
[female][trainable_hunting]

[caste:terrierdog]
[male][trainable_war]

[caste:terrierbitch]
[female][trainable_war]

And you'd then be able to do things like, if you had a terrier bitch and then got a hound dog, they would reproduce, producing random amounts of all 4? And you could use the [POP_RATIO:numbers] tag to manipulate the numbers you'd get? Or put [littersize:1:2] or [multiple_litter_rare] to make one breed better than others at making puppies?

How does [pop_ratio: ] work anyway?

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: Animal breeds - would this be possible?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 08:40:38 pm »

Not sure, but I'm like 99% sure, from what I know of castes, that it could work somehow... at least on the surface, though the tinkering would be a bit of a headache. I'm almost certain however that you'd not be able to specify certain breeds on embark that way though. Interesting concept. Though terriers... for war? Really? When I think terrier, I think tiny little things that bite my ankles. Just saying. xD
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Kiktamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 09:01:56 pm »

Actually you should be able to to choose what you get on embark the same way you'd choose standard creatures by genders at embark so I think this should work rather well.

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 09:24:58 pm »

The only problem is that you could have two pure bred hounds mate and produce a terrier or two terriers produce a hound. Unfortunately castes cannot be inherited.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 09:26:58 pm »

Not sure, but I'm like 99% sure, from what I know of castes, that it could work somehow... at least on the surface, though the tinkering would be a bit of a headache. I'm almost certain however that you'd not be able to specify certain breeds on embark that way though. Interesting concept. Though terriers... for war? Really? When I think terrier, I think tiny little things that bite my ankles. Just saying. xD

I'm not overly bothered about being able to select specific breeds on embark, just wondering if it would work at all.

Only things I can remember seeing in the standard RAWs with more than 2 castes were the Ant Men, but they have non-breeding castes.

I would like it that a hound would be able to breed with a terrier, rather than have sterile ones, just wondering if having multiple castes with [male] and [female] works, or whether it would crash DF.

I don't understand if the [pop_ratio:n] tag is important or not, or how that tag works. Again, it's only the Ant Men that I remember seeing it in. If you put Hound castes as pop_ratio:2 and terrier castes as pop_ratio:1, then with puppies you should get twice as many hounds as terriers? is that how it works?

And yeah, a lot of terriers for rat control are pretty small. Though there's Bull Terriers, which are a lot bigger and are muscly, solid dogs.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 09:32:47 pm »

The only problem is that you could have two pure bred hounds mate and produce a terrier or two terriers produce a hound. Unfortunately castes cannot be inherited.

Yeah, I thought that would happen, but I don't see it as overly problematic. You sometimes get odd results with breeding animals anyway, recessive genes and such.

Makes for amusing stories, I think.
Like if you expanded it to have lapdog caste, and two of those inexplicably produced a war dog of unprecedented size.