Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need tips on how to have 'Fun'.  (Read 852 times)

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need tips on how to have 'Fun'.
« on: November 24, 2010, 12:28:12 am »

So, I'm an old player who has picked up Dwarf Fortress once more.

I was fairly accustomed to the old Orc Mod that was present beforehand, so I had no problem with lots of "Fun." This included adding two Orc Entities which wiped out the whole world, forcing me to breed from 7 dwarves onward. Or get those dwarves slaughtered, and reclaim with 70 dwarves.

So with there being a lack of a good sort of mod like this that doesn't require me to download something for it to work, I need tips on how to have more fun.

How do I make Terrifying places appear more often? I've already added a second goblin entity, but made them show up at 1, rather than 2. Siege at 2, rather than 3. I already don't like to use traps because it was too easy when I first started play, after I caged a huge Hydra named Satintraps in my first fortress.

So right now all I can think of to make things more difficult is for skeletal deer and werewolves to be tearing apart my starting dwarves.
One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: I need tips on how to have 'Fun'.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 12:42:58 am »

You can increase the evil squares by altering the number of evil squares by small, medium and large subregion. There's a numeric relationship which gave the maximum numbers of evil allowed per map (after which you start to suffer mapgen failures. I don't recall the proportion, but I found out after asking in these forums.

this was the thread, but not the exact page. It must have been around then though

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20638.75

I think it's a bad idea in DF2010, though, given that zombies cause massive lag (and undead are not that hard to defend against, either. Sure, you will lose immigrants to undead from time to time, but it's quite easy to keep your base secure). You're better off reducing titan and megabeast attack thresholds
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 12:45:43 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 01:01:08 am »

Embark on top of a titan's shrine.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 01:15:53 am »

Not sure how to find their shrines yet.

and I suppose you're right about the undead thing, I was mostly hoping for Werewolves and more "ROAR I KILL YOU" stuff in evil / savage areas.

How do I lower titan thresholds? And will it edit my current game or will I need to re-gen?
One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 01:34:26 am »

It's done from worldgen options. There are three options concerning titan attacks: population, produced wealth, and exported wealth. You should reduce population and produced wealth (exported is at 0 by default)

Also: increase the number of titans and megabeasts, for good measure. I've never found it to have a deletereous effect in worldgen (particularily that of megabeasts. Titans might raze places, but even increasing those doesn't matter too much)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 01:36:27 am »

Oh how convenient, I was looking for a place to shoehorn my latest strategy for Fun.

Try playing without mechanisms (and without locking doors).  It means you can't use retractable bridges, or automatic traps, both of which I feel are more exploits than features.  Consequently vast amounts of fun can walk right in through your front door.  I'm trying it right now, I had three ambushes arrive with the second dwarven caravan and now have ... *checks* ... 18 out of 34 dwarves hospitalised, and a few tantruming.  Maybe I shoulda geared my industry towards crossbows instead of steel axes and shields... :/

"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 02:20:39 am »

I get the impression that the 2010 version is balancing itself towards expecting you to use some type of traps, with it being more difficult to get uber-military dwarves and the increased lethality of combat.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 03:59:38 am »

I've since increased my evil zones heavily. The only problem I'm having is now getting both evil and savage areas.

I've also decided the perfect enemy for my death enticing fortresses; The Werewolf. If I recall they regenerate even broken bones very quickly, and if not I want to bring them back to that status.

Wondering if I can make them show up in non-savage areas, or increase my Terrifying temperate forests.